Logo

2000 Evinrude old fuel

Erle2012

Good evening, first time on this forum. I bought a fishing boat with a 2000 50hp fuel injected 4 stroke engine. It has been sitting for between 3 and 5 years. I have flushed the tank and lines and changed the filter. Removed and cleaned out the injector rail. And it won’t start. The #2 cylinder is getting some fuel and 1& 3 are not. By the way it does have good spark. Any suggestions, thanks, Erle

Thanks, I already changed the filter, flushed the vapor tank, it looks like the pump is on top of the vapor tank, it’s hard to get to behind the intake ports. How do I check it? Thanks

Sorry I’m not an outboard mechanic. Can old fuel damage the high pressure fuel pump?
Thanks
If you had old, water contaminated fuel it can gum up internal parts. I don't know specifics on your engine, but typically when you have some injectors getting fuel and others not the likely culprit is fuel delivery. To verify you would connect a fuel pressure gauge to a test port on your fuel rail to see if the pump is putting out pressure to spec. Looking at the Fuel System Diagram I do not see a test port. In the absence of a test port you have 2 options: 1) remove the outlet hose and connect a hose barb with schrader valve to temporarily test fuel pressure or 2) install a hose barb T and make a schrader valve to leave permanently has a test port. Either way, you need something to test line pressure and make sure your injectors are getting proper fuel delivery.

If you had old, water contaminated fuel it can gum up internal parts. I don't know specifics on your engine, but typically when you have some injectors getting fuel and others not the likely culprit is fuel delivery. To verify you would connect a fuel pressure gauge to a test port on your fuel rail to see if the pump is putting out pressure to spec. Looking at the Fuel System Diagram I do not see a test port. In the absence of a test port you have 2 options: 1) remove the outlet hose and connect a hose barb with schrader valve to temporarily test fuel pressure or 2) install a hose barb T and make a schrader valve to leave permanently has a test port. Either way, you need something to test line pressure and make sure your injectors are getting proper fuel delivery.
Thanks I’ll see if I can figure out a way to connect a gauge. If anyone else has had this problem and can give me any more advice it would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

Back