Logo

2000 70 hp johnson temperature sensor I'm told the part is obsolete is there a substitute?

Your location ?-----What test was done to determine it was no good?-----Used on many models from 1995 to 2005.----Should be able to find a used one.

sorry for the late reply--computer prolem. the problem started when I"d be cruising about 15 minutes at 3000 rpm's and the engine would balk and not allow me to go over 1000 rpm's. After sitting for a while with engine off it seemed to be OK. After a few minutes rhe problem would start again to the point that I couldn't keep it running. whenever I gave it gas it would die. Someone told me it might be the temp sensor. I disconnected the sensor and the engine ran great. There was one case where I was running at aout 1500 rpm's and all of a sudden the engine went up to 3000 rpm's. That's the only problem so far. What do you think?

I doubt the sensor is at fault.-----I think motor was being put into S.L.O.W. mode as designed.----Have you replaced the water pump impeller ?-----That would the first thing I would do.------And a new impeller every 3 or 4 years.

Ok
I am having a similar issue. 70hp Johnson runs fine then goes into SLOW . Will come good again once the engine has been allowed to cool down. I am going to change the thermostat and then bypass the sensor. Would you recommend a different course of action? Any help would be much appreciated. Tell tale flow is strong

Test the sensor switch.-----Are you 100% sure that S.L.O.W. is the issue?----Tried running with timing light one cylinder at a time.----Also post compression test values.----Perhaps run with a different tank and hose as a test.

Test the sensor switch.-----Are you 100% sure that S.L.O.W. is the issue?----Tried running with timing light one cylinder at a time.----Also post compression test values.----Perhaps run with a different tank and hose as a test.
Thanks for the reply.( In regards to running one cylinder at a time with the timing light. ) Is this done by disconnecting the other two spark plug leads and is it a problem for the engine? Would this also be the way to set the mixture screw for each individual cylinder?

You run at full throttle ( out on the water ) and observe the flashing light.------If you have steady spark at each cylinder you need to trouble shoot elsewhere.

Back