Logo

2000 225 optimax only turns 4500 rpm

harles10

"Hey all, new to the board. I

"Hey all, new to the board. I have a pair of 225 optimax motors, model year 2000. The problem I am getting is that one of them will only turn 4500 rpm and it's like it hits a wall there. The other motor will turn 5700 no problem. Thee motor were recent replacements for a pair of merc 200 hp that I mixed gas for. The tank was run near dry and added 50 gallons of fresh fuel. Could it be a fouled plug? The motor runs great, little rough at idle until warmed up from running a little. I have no light or horn (these are not smartcraft motors) Just wondering if it could be a plug not firing due to oil fouling. Would this make it drop back to a steady 4500? I read in the manual that the gaurdian system will cause this if the throttle position sensor goes bad, but it is supposed to give a light and horn. The lights and horn self test fine. Any help would be appreciated."

"I am going to go down and do

"I am going to go down and do the plug tommorow. Should I try and change just the one until I run some more fuel out? Thank, John"

Back