Logo

2 stroke break in procedure

ggmurray191

Regular Contributor
Hello everyone! With the the Powerhead rebuild or not thread complete, I decided to start another thread on the break in procedure that needs to be followed. I’ve looked over the shop manuals I have and found a variety of methods on the web and found that the first 10 hrs are critical when breaking in a new or rebuilt motor. I found this Evinrude procedure that lists the year and hp I have and planned on following this method. However I’m concerned about the 4 hrs of idle to break in the pistons and rings that seemed excessive. Here’s some pics of the procedure26FC5A3B-1B88-4D0B-93E5-16D58FCC0BD7.pngB396E624-E3C3-4E6E-AE0A-A8B733D73FCF.png03C5A511-BEC5-4510-880D-3068E1DF0999.png

I’m tying up some details now before I start with the break in. The Malibu had no instruments at all so I got on EBay and found a good used tach that was the PN needed to match the harness for my remote. It should be plug and play with that other than drilling the console and mounting the tach. Also will be installing an hour meter too! Both gauges definitely needed when breaking in a fresh motor. I’ll post some pics on the install of them when they hit the door this week.

Hey on my E70TLCEM 70 hp does anybody know what the tach pulse setting should be? I have 2 manuals and can’t find anything on what it would be set at.

Back