Logo

1999 Yamaha 90 2 stroke problem

Hoyter

My 1999 Yamaha 90 starts right up every time. When I put it in gear and give it throttle it will not go above 1200 Rmps as if it is not firing on all cylinders. No amount of time letting it warm up or reving it in nuetral will fix it BUT if I turn it off and let it sit for about a half hour it will then fire up and work perfectly for the rest of the day. Any thoughts or suggestions on what might be going on? Thank you very much in advanced for any help.
-Jake-

I'm not overly hip to newer Yamaha outboards, but I've had a similar issue in a Yamaha motorcycle. In my case it was a sticking float needle in the carb. When the bike was on it's kickstand, the angle shifted the fuel which pushed the float up, closing the needle and shutting off the fuel supply to that carb. it would then stick closed when I stood the bike up off it's kickstand. It would run great for a couple minutes until it used what fuel was in the bowl, then I'd lose that cylinder. Tap the carb a few times and it would start running right.

This same thing could happen to your motor from tilting it if it has carbs.

Back