Logo

1999 johnson 50 2 stroke 2 cyl water in cylinder

Tmeyer

New member
Hey guys.

I'm new to the forums, I have a little bit of experience working on outboard. I did carbs, water pumps, prop shaft replacement/rebuild on a few evinrude Johnson engines. I recently picked up a 99 johnson 2 stroke 2 cylinder for 300 bucks. I didn't know if it ran or not but pulled the lower unit off and when I spun the shaft the prop spun also. So I bought and brought it home. After some inspection I found it has some water oil mixture in one of the cylinders. I have a shop manual for this motor and I'm mechanically inclined. I just need some help on where to start. I was told by a shop it was probably the exhaust gasket letting the water in. What should I be checking when I tear the head off this engine. I want to be thorough and do a good job on this engine and make sure I have covered everything that couldnbeed rebuilt before I put it back together. Thanks for any advice.

Tmeyer.
 
Ok thanks for the reply. If water is getting into one cylinder then wouldn't the compression have to be off. It seems to me this would just tell me what I already know that cylinder is not tight for some reason, ie blown head gasket, cracked or warped head, or exhaust gaskets. What will this tell me as far as diagnosing the problem?
 
Yes, I've got a 2000 50 HP 2 stroke Johnson which was rebuilt 4 years ago, I've ran it maybe 40 hrs since, ran fantastic, new water pump, seals, getting a little water in top cylinder, still runs but not full throttle due to moisture on top plug. Compression is great, checked head & exhaust gasket, replaced, still the same. Any suggestions.
 
Salt water motor ?-----The cylinder head was warped.----Did you refinish it ?-----Did you replace lower crankshaft seal ?----Taken a fuel sample and checked for water?
 
Salt water motor ?-----The cylinder head was warped.----Did you refinish it ?-----Did you replace lower crankshaft seal ?----Taken a fuel sample and checked for water?
No, the exhaust plate was removed, it's all cast inside, nothing to see, removed head, the top cylinder had just a drop or so of water laying on top of piston, can't figure out how it's entering the cylinder.
 
And the fuel tanks are water free. And that's as far as I've gone is the head and exhaust, installed new gaskets, run motor and still got water on top cylinder spark plug.
 
And the fuel tanks are water free. And that's as far as I've gone is the head and exhaust, installed new gaskets, run motor and still got water on top cylinder spark plug.
Not much water, but a drop or so, enough to cause the engine to misfire and not able to run 100%
 
Back
Top