Logo

1999 50hp 4 st ELPT not firing on cylinders 3 and 4

joe5150

this igniton has shared coil packs between 4 cylinders, 3 and 4 are on opposite coils, I only see 1 trigger pickup, with 2 longer metal tabs on flywheel 180 degrees apart, only 1 igniter/cdi for all 4, im thinking cdi, help please.

also im reading stop diode for 1-2 coil pack can fail and kill spark on 3-4, is this diode located in the cdi or coil pack?

Some of these motors fire the sparkplug on every revolution.-------Firing on the exhaust stroke does nothing and is a " wasted spark "-----Just a little cheaper to do it that way.-----Switch the coils around and see what happens as a test.

the lower plug wire from the upper and lower coil is not firing, the swap wont make a difference, I can see your explaination on how they fire with only one wire per 2 plugs, some systems have individual cdi's per cylinder and this has one for all four, divided into two coil packs, the manual for a different 4 cylinder shows the "stop diode" can prevent 2 cylinders from firing, but I don't know the part location, probably in the cdi, I ordered manual but 1 week away.

Back