Logo

1999 2cyl. 40 hp 2 stroke- "takes off" and runs high RPM

Mark Gall

New member
I am working on a 1999, 2 cyl. 40 hp 2 stroke Johnson outboard. Most of the time it runs pretty good, but on occasion the guy has a very difficult time getting it to idle properly. Went through all of the Sync and Link procedures and adjustments several times. Decided to take the carbs off and check them out. Tore down, cleaned, and put kits in both carbs. After putting both carbs back on, I was making "final" adjustments, when the motor sped up to almost 3000 rpms, and would not slow down or shut off at the switch. Even after pulling both plug wires, it continued to run until I choked off air to both carbs. Never seen this happen in over 30 years of messing with boat motors. An ideas?
 
It sounds like the motor has a lot of carbon in it.. the carbon got hot enough to fire the incoming fuel-air mix by itself, that's why pulling the plug wires didn't shut it off
 
Back
Top