Logo

1998 Yamaha VMAX 150 Electrical Issue?

Hey guys, I'm a newb, so please forgive me for this question. Great day on the water 2 weeks ago, boat running tip top, caught a bunch of fish. Put it back in storage at the end of the day. Got it out Sunday to go catch some crappie, dump it in the water, put the key in "accessory position" did not turn on power to the panel (which it usually does), turn it the rest of the way to start then electrical comes on and engine fires. Boat fires and runs, although it wants to be in gear immediately to stay running. Get out of the no wake zone, hit the throttle, won't get out of the hole. Just digs like theres too much weight in the boat or something. Turn the key like I'm starting the boat (while it is already running mind you), and it shoots up out of the hole and gets on plane and runs like a champ. The second you take your hand off the key in starting position, the power cuts to 50% of so and the boat gets off plane - engine still runs but with no real power (about 7mph). I figure must be something wrong with the accessory wire in the ignition wiring harness. Hopped on Amazon, bought a new ignition control box (704) for a Yamaha. Replaced it, same issue. Thoughts? Fuse? Relay/solenoid? The crappie are biting and I need to be back on the water!

Morning y'all, just an update. One of the two fuses that run into the starter motor was blown. Replaced it, but unfortunately I must have installed the ignition switch improperly, because the dash power is on when the key is out of the ignition. Does anyone have a diagram for what colors match up from a Yamaha 8-pin ignition switch to the harness. I have a black, red, green, and yellow out of the 704 control switch. I know black goes to black since they are the only ones that match up male to female, but the red green and yellow are all female, and no matter how I match the others up - the red to purple is the only connection that powers the dash, but it stays on. I know something is wrong, just not sure what it is!

Back