Logo

1998 Yamaha 50hp 4 stroke: Reoccurring failure of starter solenoid

Plufmud1

Warm engine cranked up right away, but repeated attempts to crank a cold engine is resulting in starter solenoid failures. I've replaced three so far. Starter engages and engine turns over trying to crank like normal at first. But after 5 or 6 attempts at starting, the solenoid freezes up and stops supplying proper voltage to the starter. The started did get a little warm on the last failure. I hoped that the problem was a "cheap" aftermarket solenoid, but the last one to fail was Yamaha OEM. All cables and connections and grounds have been checked. Brand new high cranking amp battery. Any ideas would be appreciated.

In my opinion the starter should be taken apart for inspection.----Likely that solenoid was NOT the problem.----Inspect the starter , do not rush out and buy a new one.

In my opinion the starter should be taken apart for inspection.----Likely that solenoid was NOT the problem.----Inspect the starter , do not rush out and buy a new one.

Thanks for the reply. What should I be looking for when inspecting the starter? I don't think the solenoid was bad either, but it definitely became fried in the cranking process. Won't even produce one volt to starter side post with ignition.

After you find what's wrong with the starter, you still need to fix the hard starting problem. Firat do a spark test, then look at potential fuel issues. That motor should "pop" right off. When cold it is probably not getting enough fuel.

After you find what's wrong with the starter, you still need to fix the hard starting problem. Firat do a spark test, then look at potential fuel issues. That motor should "pop" right off. When cold it is probably not getting enough fuel.

Thanks timguy! I'm a little ashamed to admit that I just found out today about how to use the Yamaha Prime Start System. I didn't know that I could pump a little extra fuel to the engine by pumping the remote control throttle lever a few times when cold. This engine has no choke solenoid. Found a video on Youtube. Definitely answers why I had trouble with first start when temp was in the 30's. A shame that Yamaha forgot to put that into the owners manual. And I think I've about got this traced down to a dying starter that is drawing too many amps on the repeated start attempts. Thanks for your thoughts. I think you're absolutely right about not getting enough fuel.

Right, your learning fast. I pump mine as it has an accelerator pump.....which gets the gas there for your initial start. Then "cycle" the solenoid as needed....you will get the hang of it. Your new starter will last a lifetime.

Right, your learning fast. I pump mine as it has an accelerator pump.....which gets the gas there for your initial start. Then "cycle" the solenoid as needed....you will get the hang of it. Your new starter will last a lifetime.

Thanks again, Timguy! I also found an incorrect connection on the carb linkage causing the choke to not engage on start. No wonder I was having trouble with a cold start! Old starter also had a little bend in the armature. Not sure it was enough to cause a problem, but hey, I found a new starter for $65 on Amazon. And starter solenoids for about $6. Bought some extras just for insurance.

I really appreciate all the help from everyone on this forum. Maybe one day I can return the favor to someone.

Excellent and take care, stay humble. Remember, you can accomplish almost anything, as long as you don't care who gets the credit. I'm learning constantly here on the forum too.

Back