Logo

1998 Johnson 115HP Crank no Start

LeMeFish

So I just got this boat which is a 1979 Sylvan, with a 1998 Johnson 115HP on it.

When I took off the carb covers there was a ton of 2 stroke oil I have attached picture

I sprayed some starting fluid and it does start but then dies out.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the Carb's but I just want to see if someone can possibly help me verify that this might be the case if they have seen this before. I have made sure that fuel pump is pumping and it is, and it must becoming through the carbs as all this oil is coming out of carbs. I'm just not sure if any fuel is coming through and I don't know how to test for just fuel coming through since this is an oil injection system.

If anyone can help me please I would be so grateful.

Johnson Carb.jpg

Some will argue.-----Step #1 on those is a compression test.----Post your numbers.---Then test for spark.-----Lanyard switch in the correct position ?-----Pushing the key in and holding it in while cranking it over ?-----On the side of the carburetor bowl there is a drain screw.----Drain the bowls and refill.------Mix at 50:1 in your fuel tank until you confirm that oil injection is working.-----Install a new water pump impeller.----Or run the VRO test procedure.----Test the overheat horn.

Some will argue.-----Step #1 on those is a compression test.----Post your numbers.---Then test for spark.-----Lanyard switch in the correct position ?-----Pushing the key in and holding it in while cranking it over ?-----On the side of the carburetor bowl there is a drain screw.----Drain the bowls and refill.------Mix at 50:1 in your fuel tank until you confirm that oil injection is working.-----Install a new water pump impeller.----Or run the VRO test procedure.----Test the overheat horn.
Thank you so much I will work on getting these tomorrow.

Back