Logo

1998 Evinrude Intruder 150 dies when in gear

Aaron R.

New member
I have a good running motor, strong while in idle but bogs down when being put in gear. It takes several attempts to get it to spin up enough to get on plane.

Good compression on all cylinders (110, 110, 111, 112, 110, 112) and its a new powerhead (sprimg this year). Good spark on all 6 cylinders, new fuel filter and manually mixed fuel at 50:1.
 
I have a good running motor, strong while in idle but bogs down when being put in gear. It takes several attempts to get it to spin up enough to get on plane.
A little more info is needed on how exactly the engine is bogging when you put it in gear. Bogs down can mean several different things and have entirely different causes.

1) Does this happen as you're shifting into gear and before any throttle is applied? Does is seem like the engine just loses spark and cuts out? If so, the issue might be your shift interrupt switch.

2) Does the engine idle fine in gear but when you try to give it throttle is just bogs and dies? If that's the issue it sounds like a fuel delivery problem. It could be an air leak in your fuel system, a bad fuel pump, a clogged or collapsing pulse hose, an issue with the VST, or something in the carbs.

3) Does the engine idle fine in gear and when you try to give it throttle it burbles, stays running, but doesn't want to get up and go? If this is the scenario it sounds like you're getting fuel but the timing isn't advancing to get the RPM spun up. This could be a problem with throttle/timing linkage, the timing somehow got out of whack, or the optical eye is dirty or failing.

We'll need to know which of these scenarios is happening to further troubleshoot.
 
Doesnt die immediately but will eventually after about 15-30 seconds from being put into gear without adding throttle. It dies faster if I go into gear and try to give it gas.

The reason for the new powerhead was due to the VRO pump falling and freezing up the cylinders. New non VRO fuel pump just installed.

The motor starts without flaw, idles no issue. As I advance the throttle RPMs go down when they should be going up. I've tried slow advance and a very fast one. When the motor decides it wants to remain running she gets up and goes but it takes a few attempts. Its almost like I need to allow it to idle for a while before advancing the throttle.

At the ramp putting It in the water, it idled on the trailer for about 5 min before I backed it off, then tied it to the dock while I parked the truck for another about 10 min. Tlputtingnit in gear from the dock, it idled in gear with no issue and throttled up just fine leaving the no wake zone. Stopped fished for 30 min before I started up and tried to move elsewhere and thats where the problem persisted for the rest if the day.
 
Part # of the fuel pump ?----Water pump serviced when powerhead was replaced?----Carburetors cleaned ?----VRO warning system sounded when it failed ?----Warning horn now tested?
 
Last edited:
Okay, this is not a shift interrupt switch problem, so that's one item off the list. You didn't say in your original post this is a new powerhead. Make sure your timing is correct and all throttle linkage is engaging properly.

This could be a fuel delivery problem. As Racer asked, please tell us the part# for the non-VRO fuel pump you installed. The non-VRO pumps for a V6 use dual pumps working in series. Make sure everything is plumbed properly with the non-VRO pump and that your carbs are cleaned and spotless.

Did you you keep your VST or eliminate that too? Even with the non-VRO pump you should have the VST in place. Also, make sure you're pulse-limiter is good on the pulse line for the fuel pump.
 
Very difficult to gather that info as I wasnt the one to install the pump or powerhead. I wasnt the owner of the boat at that time. I purchased the boat with this as a semi-kbown issue. The previous owner said it had this issue starting after the powerhead install and "only happened occasionally". It happens to me every time I have it out.

I unfortunately dont have the part # for the pump and cant seem to find it on the pump itself.
 
Very difficult to gather that info as I wasnt the one to install the pump or powerhead. I wasnt the owner of the boat at that time. I purchased the boat with this as a semi-kbown issue. The previous owner said it had this issue starting after the powerhead install and "only happened occasionally". It happens to me every time I have it out.

I unfortunately dont have the part # for the pump and cant seem to find it on the pump itself.
Ah, you inherited a basket case. Post a picture of the fuel pump and all the associated plumbing including the VST. This really sounds like somebody missed something during reassembly.
 
Ill get a photo of the pump soon. The boat is in a storage unit since I cant keep it on the Air Force Base with me.

I forgot to mention that I cant get it to duplicate the issue out of the water on muffs. I dont have a tank to put the motor in. It starts fine on the muffs, goes into gear without the slightest decrease in RPM, able to advance the throttle no issues. It only doa this while on the water.

Figured that bit of info could help with diagnosis.
 
Ill get a photo of the pump soon. The boat is in a storage unit since I cant keep it on the Air Force Base with me.

I forgot to mention that I cant get it to duplicate the issue out of the water on muffs. I dont have a tank to put the motor in. It starts fine on the muffs, goes into gear without the slightest decrease in RPM, able to advance the throttle no issues. It only doa this while on the water.

Figured that bit of info could help with diagnosis.
First off....thank you for your service.

As you've discovered, running an engine on hose muffs can be very deceiving when diagnosing engine problems. The lack of backpressure on the exhaust greatly changes the dynamics of how the engine runs. A poorly running engine can sound fine and rev up great on the muffs, then fall flat when you dunk the lower unit into water.
 
Well, went to a different lake that was about 1k ft lower in elevation (3400' vs 4500') and the boat ran like a champ. I did nothing to it. Ran at 55 mph, fired up and stayed fired up when putting it into gear all day.

Im now thinking elevation might have something to do with it.
 
Back
Top