Logo

1998 Evinrude 25HP - Fuel in Oil Reservoir

Dusto

Hi All,

I need some help troubleshooting. I feel like this is an issue that others are probably aware of.

I have one of these: https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1998&hp=25&model=E25TKLECA

I notice the 2 stroke oil leaking out of the cowling, generally after a temperature change. Upon inspection, it seems the oil reservoir has had fuel pushed into it and it will be leaking out of the vent in the cap of the oil reservoir.

I've added a demand valve as I thought excess pressure in the fuel tank was pushing fuel through the pump, that doesn't seem to have helped. Any ideas or things to look for?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Simple fact for you.-----Most of these 3 cylinder motors have had the oil tank and mixer taken off .---Thrown away as far as you can.-----Not a reliable unit.-----Mix oil / gas at 50:1 in your fuel tank.

Thanks racerone, I am aware of that option. I'd like to understand the root cause of why this is happening so I can make sure that this root problem doesn't cause another problem if I simply remove the mixer.

Any thoughts as to why the fuel would be making its way into the oil reservoir?

Don't know ----I have a number of these 3 cylinder motors for parts.-----None have the oil tank / mixer on them.-----Some will argue.-----Throw that unit out !!

Back