Logo

1998' 90 HP 60 Degree Johnson Idle problem

carolinaflare

Contributing Member
Hello everyone,
Recently I had some issues with my engine, Fuel problems to be exact, ethanol, water, on and on. Listed below is the problems I corrected, and may have caused.
engine info, 1998 Johnson 90HP 60 degree optical ignition, close to 6000 hours. Well maintained...
Replaced all hoses and filters, primer bulb, anti-siphon valve, etc. Cleaned out tank.
Re-bulit carbs with new kits, - Floats are adjusted per manual..
Re-built fuel pump.
Took apart and clean throttle plates- possibly did not set idle scews back correctly.....
remove oil inj tank and premix full 30 gallon tank 50:1.
new plugs, gap*=*.30
Fuel primer solenoid is melted inside. ?? have not replaced yet but hoses to reed valve plate capped. Not thinking this is a part of my problem. it needs to be fixed, only makes it a bit harder to start cold.
I can not get the engine to idle worth a crap. The manual says that the idle screws on the throttle plate (9/64 allen screw)*should be set to 5 turns out from lightly seated. the engine runs best- not good but better than any other time with these srews all the way in, (seated lightly)*I can*make the engine run by constantly feathering the throttle linkage but it shuts down at idle.
I live in south Florida and there are no J/E shops that I would trust or do business with, *none of them want anything to do with me unless i buy a $300,000 center console with 4 etec 250's bolted on from them.
Please help... Thanks in advance

Re: 98' 90 HP 60 Degree Johnson Idle problem

Trouble shooting starts with a compression test--------------Post the results.

Re: 98' 90 HP 60 Degree Johnson Idle problem

The outboard shops in South Florida are run by criminals (most). You are wise to stay far away.

If your on the east coast, I have a mechanic(honest and fair priced) in Pompano. His name is George. His shop is in the area of Atlantic Blvd/Dixie Hwy. His number is 954-709-8533

This guy is great. He will fix your problem.

Tell him Taylor sent you.

Goodluck

Back