Logo

1998 15 HP Evinrude 4 stroke won't keep pumping water out the telltale

oldandretired

New member
Hello Everyone,

My title pretty much says it all. I can get the motor to pump water out the tube for maybe 3 minutes or so, not a real fast flow, but what i would consider close to normal...then the flow starts to decrease, and eventually sputters to nothing. I have replaced the water pump (several times) and all seals around it, and replaced the thermostat. I'm getting really frustrated with this unit, it runs fine otherwise but its had water pump issues off and on for the last 3 or 4 years, and now this weird situation.... consequently, I haven't used it much since i purchased it second hand. I'm using water "muffs" which in the past has been adequate to check for flow, i've also had it in a 55 gallon barrel with plenty of water, it acts exactly the same so I think I can rule out inadequate water supply. Any ideas??

Thanks in advance
Jack
 
Find the spot where the tube is, look inside and pull the hose off of it and let it hang over the side of the engine. Start it up and see if it continues to pump. If so, look for sand/debris in the plastic hole. Start simple, after that gets more complicated
 
Its clear. I have checked the fitting and the hose that runs back to the engine. As I mentioned, it sends out a decent stream for a few minutes, then quits, so its not as simple as a plugged fitting or hose.
 
Its clear. I have checked the fitting and the hose that runs back to the engine. As I mentioned, it sends out a decent stream for a few minutes, then quits, so its not as simple as a plugged fitting or hose.
This might sound really stupid, apologies in advance. How long is your water tube that is inside the case? I had the same problem initially, and it was the tube being too long and somehow restraining the flow because it got a bit twisted. I just cut it shorter and had no issues after that. Good luck!
 
The water tube was fairly long, and yes i checked it for kinks and even shortened it up a bit. Tried it this morning and it pumped water for I bet close to five minutes, before the stream lessened, sputter a bit, and then quit altogether, just like before. I tried pulling the thermostat out and it made no difference. It seems as though the motor has to cool down completely before it will pump again. I am really perplexed by this whole situation. Anyone else have any ideas?
 
I can not see or touch your motor.------Is the intake passage below the pump clear?----A blown head gasket can cause issues as well.
 
The intake passage is clear, I don't believe it would pump water for several minutes if it wasn't. Its a 4 stroke motor, I dont think its a blown head gasket as I think it would run poorly if it was blown, it runs fine.
 
Back
Top