Hi all
Joined this forum to help a buddy out with some motor issues.. Here are the details of his motor tag.
S/N: 0G495317
1997 C40ELPTO
Max RPM 550
It's an electric start, 2 stroke, 4 cylinder Mariner Magnum 40.
We came to the conclusion that the stator likely needs to be replaced. The symptoms were that once it was hot, it didn't want to restart. Let it sit for sometime (overnight) and it fires back up as if nothing happened. It will crank when hot, just not start, even with pumping the fuel bulb.
We used this document to check resistances of the stator and trigger assembly.
http://www.outboardignition.com/page39.asp
The wire colors on his motor match this row exactly, although oddly his motor shows a 97 and the S/N isn't within that range. Stator numbers were way off, but trigger and ignition coils were very close if not within. Thus we figured stator.
Trying to find out what is the correct stator for this. I've seen multiple different part numbers. Looking at this websites parts, they list quite a few. I assume I need electric one for electric start correct? I don't know what the amperage of the current one is either, but assume it's 9 amps.
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury_marine_parts/sn/0G495317/7040412FD/543_60
Going to need to pull the flywheel and not sure what puller is needed either. I found this on ebay, but it doesn't mention 40HP motor models. Any confirmation this would work or which one would work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/372006134551?ul_noapp=true
Thanks in advance for any advice, help, tips etc. I don't normally work on boat motors, but this is a new challenge.
Joined this forum to help a buddy out with some motor issues.. Here are the details of his motor tag.
S/N: 0G495317
1997 C40ELPTO
Max RPM 550
It's an electric start, 2 stroke, 4 cylinder Mariner Magnum 40.
We came to the conclusion that the stator likely needs to be replaced. The symptoms were that once it was hot, it didn't want to restart. Let it sit for sometime (overnight) and it fires back up as if nothing happened. It will crank when hot, just not start, even with pumping the fuel bulb.
We used this document to check resistances of the stator and trigger assembly.
http://www.outboardignition.com/page39.asp
The wire colors on his motor match this row exactly, although oddly his motor shows a 97 and the S/N isn't within that range. Stator numbers were way off, but trigger and ignition coils were very close if not within. Thus we figured stator.
| 40-45 Flex Flywheel 4CYL | 1989-1996 | C159200-OG291031 | 332-5772 | 3250-3650 | 75-90 | 180V+ | 20V+ | Blue to Bl/Wht Red to Red/Wht | 800-1400 | 4V+ | Brown to Wht/Blk Purple to White | 0.2-1.0 | 800-1100 |
Trying to find out what is the correct stator for this. I've seen multiple different part numbers. Looking at this websites parts, they list quite a few. I assume I need electric one for electric start correct? I don't know what the amperage of the current one is either, but assume it's 9 amps.
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury_marine_parts/sn/0G495317/7040412FD/543_60
Going to need to pull the flywheel and not sure what puller is needed either. I found this on ebay, but it doesn't mention 40HP motor models. Any confirmation this would work or which one would work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/372006134551?ul_noapp=true
Thanks in advance for any advice, help, tips etc. I don't normally work on boat motors, but this is a new challenge.

