Logo

1996 Honda BF30 Tach Replacement Part

SinkTip123

I am looking for a replacement for my Honda Tach from an approx 1996 BF30.
The motor runs great but the tach is suspect. I bought the boat from an estate and the boat sat for about 10 years. Ever since I got it running it has been sticky and would read correct (I think) after a couple of sharp taps on the glass. Now it basically seems to show about 1200 rpm at idle and will not go above 2000 or so. I checked the bullet connectors at the harness and the green connector on the motor side of the harness and no change.
Would you recommend trying a different tach, and if so, what part number for such an old motor? It is the type with a dial for the cylinder setting, spade connectors for the light and bullet connectors for the tach signal. There is no hour meter, and I don't want one.
Thanks,
Grant
White Rock, BC

It sounds like you have this tach [h=5]37250-ZV5-950AH[/h]

37250-ZV5-950AH.jpg

If this is not the color that you want check this page for other options. http://marine.honda.com/outboards/accessories/gauge-sets
The one you describe sounds like a Faria if the dial on the back has numbers 1 through 6 or so.

Mike

Also, when I describe the symptoms, does it seem like the tach is the problem? I hate replacing parts for no reason - especially when they are a $65 part.

If you have to tap on the glass to get it to move, then it is the tachometer.

You can check on the Faria website and can send it back for repair for a nominal fee.

There are other brands listed on the page that I referenced from the Honda web site, but they will look a little different and not match your other gauges.

Mike

Back