Logo

1996 Evinrude Ocean Pro prop feels like itbs slipping

B

Bob in FL.

at about 3000 to 4000 rpm I g

at about 3000 to 4000 rpm I get an intermitant
surge in rpms and the speed slows. Feels like the prop is slipping. Would that be a bad thrust bushing or is there a splined hard rubber item inside the prop that acts like the old shear pin?
Is it a fairly easy job to change said item?
Other than that the engine seems to run well.
Thanks for any ideas/hints. Bob

" Bob.... Propellers actually

" Bob.... Propellers actually consist of three (3) items which are, the actual propeller, vaulcanized rubber, and the splined hub.

The vaulcanized rubber is sandwiched (spun/pressed in) between the propeller and the hub. This setup is to absorb any shock that may be encountered, even when shifting.

The usual result of having a slipping hub (the vaulcanize fails) if that the prop might turn at a slow rpm but as the rpms increase, the water pressure being exerted upon the prop blades becomes so great that the bronze hub and the vaulcanized rubber slips within the propeller.

Should this happen, you cannot do the repairs yourself. You would need to have the hub replaced at a propeller repair shop. If you don't know of such a shop, your local dealership can send the prop out for such a repair.

You should have a spare prop for emergencies. Install another prop to see if the problem ceases. If it does, obviously your prop is at fault.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC) "

" Thanx Joe. I also talked to

" Thanx Joe. I also talked to a local Evinrude shop
and was told it might be 'ventilation' due to grass/weeds getting on the lower unit. Lots of grass/weeds in Hernando Beach, Fl area due to shrimpers tearing up the bottom. When I told him it happened even when NOT increasing speed he brought up this scenario. He said a check could be done by removing the prop. then using a small punch, making a couple of marks at correct places,reinstalling the prop and use it awhile till we get the same situation. Then removing the prop. to see if the marks were separated. Sounds reasonable to me. BTW, I tilt engine such that the lower unit is completely out of the salt water when I am through using the boat. Any thoughts on this possibility. Prop is about 6-7 years old and blades(3) in good shape. Thank you for your help and ideas.
Bob in Fl. "

Back