Logo

1996 88 SPL Fuel Filter recomendation

tpnaquin

"Hi all!

I have a "new

"Hi all!

I have a "new to me" 1996 Johnson 88 SPL on a 17' Montauk. The rig does not have a fuel filter (that I can find)...... SO, what sort of filter should I install? (Will a simple inline filter fill the bill <OR> should I opt for the "water separator" type?)

The boat has two metal 12 gal tanks.

Thank you in advance,

Todd"

Willard King / Kevin Johnson..

Willard King / Kevin Johnson..... Thank you.... I think I will go with the water separator model.....

Thank you!

"Todd, I agree water seperator

"Todd, I agree water seperator filter is best choice...
Are you having any problems with engine due to the new ethanol-blend fuels?

If so, this info might help you out - from article I recently wrote - Contact me if you want the whole article called, "Protect Your Outboard Engine from Damage due to Ethanol Blend Fuels".

The most important way to prevent engine damage from high levels of ethanol is to use a non- alcohol fuel conditioner, such as Evinrude-Johnson 2+4 fuel conditioner.
2+4 fuel conditioner will stabilize fuel, inhibit corrosion and absorb moisture (water) without adding alcohol to the fuel.

1. Never use a fuel blend that contains more than 10 percent ethanol.

2. Do not mix MTBE and ethanol-blended fuels. Use the same gasoline supplier while fuel distributors are making changes.
Run out or remove your old (MTBE) fuel before putting the new ethanol fuel in your tank.

3. Make sure your motor is equipped with a water separating fuel filter. (E-Tec's have them, other engines may or may not).

4. Check (for contaminants and clogging) and replace your fuel filter often.
Fuel filters should be replaced at least every 50 -100 hours.

5. To minimize phase separation, add non-alcohol fuel stabilizer (2+4) to every tank of gas.
(Outboard manufacturers also recommend adding an injector cleaner to the fuel).

6. Remember that gas with ethanol has a shorter shelf life - use it up and replace it quickly.
Avoid running on bottom of tank (where most water will sink).

7. Note: Evinrude (OMC BRP) recommends carbon guard be added to the fuel tank each time you add gasoline, (Reduces possibility of piston ring sticking and carbon build-up, better overall engine performance, increases engine life), but it will not remove water.

2+4 Fuel Conditioner can be found at all Evinrude-Johnson Bombardier dealers."

"boy, I need to get a user ID

"boy, I need to get a user ID like Ralph's!

Isn't there a filter screen where the fuel line connects to the motor. I realize this isn't exactly what Todd was talking about, but this shouldn't be ignored."

Back