Logo

1996 6 HP Evinrude No Spark

code1p36

Regular Contributor
I have a 1996 6 HP that does not have any spark in either cylinder. The motor ran about 2 years ago and has not been used since. I have confirmed the kill switch is working properly with an ohm tester. I have a manual for earlier models for testing the coils but not this late of model. What are the steps and specs to test the coils and powerpack? Any other advice on what to test?

Thanks.

I just checked the stator and timer base resistance per CDI Electronics and fell within specifications except the primary winding on the coil were both at 1.2 instead of the specified 0.2-1.0 ohms. I am not able to check the DVA due to not having the right tools. It appears that the stator, timer base and coil are good. How do I test the power pack? I don't have the wires (blue or green) they are referring to on the CDI documents to test the power pack. I did check the black wire with the wire harness pulled apart to the ground on the block and there is no continuity. Shouldn't there be a ground between there for the power pack?

I was able to find a trouble shooting guide for the power pack through their parts search and tested it. It appears to be testing out properly with a reading when set on diode mode for each one and not being open or shorted. When testing the power pack the first time I was testing the incorrect wire so disregard the power pack continuity test above.

Any other ideas to why this thing is not producing a spark? I give it a good pull and have other outboards that produce spark with a much lesser pull.

The DVA adaptor is a nice tool to have in your tool box and should nail it down. Check the outputs of the driver coil and trigger are within spec. Have you confirmed the air gap between the driver coil (stator) and flywheel magnets is correct? What is the model number of your motor? If the coil and trigger check out but your not getting proper voltage to the ignition coils the PP is likely bad. Other than the diode test there is no real way to test the PP make sure the inputs are good and the ignition coil ohms out properly. If the other components check out good with the DVA the PP is probably the faulty component.

Try disconnecting the stop button first to make sure it is not causing the no spark condition.
If that does not help, then 9 times of 10 it is the powerpack

Back