Logo

1996 2hp Pristine evinrude wonbt start

"I have a 96 2hp evinrude i in

"I have a 96 2hp evinrude i inherited from my dad. It has been in storage for a long time. I dug it out (it looks literally like a brand new motor from the prop to the top) yesterday. I put fresh gas in it, stuck it in some water and gave about 10 pulls: it fired up and ran for about 30 seconds, pumping water just fine. Then it stopped and won't start. It has great spark and the fuel lines + valve are clear and the float boal is full. I pulled the carb (no varnish) and blew through the jets. The compression is 60 psi. It will run weakly for a few seconds if I spray some premix directly into the carb with the throttle open. Other than that it simply won't start.

Is the compression too low or should I look elsewhere first before rebuilding."

"i would definately clean/rebu

"i would definately clean/rebuild the carb,blow out all passages,orifices,make sure throttle adv is working,make sure choke closes all the way,inst new plug,def chg the water imp."

"hmm, all that stuff looks goo

"hmm, all that stuff looks good although I have not tried a fresh plug.

I guess my burning question is: Is 60 psi compression too low to start + run properly?"

"i would say it is not optimal

"i would say it is not optimal,but i would not discard that eng of 60......u have enuf to wk with...it may have not had 80- when new."

Back