Logo

1996 25 hp mariner cold weather operation

lscott

I have a 1996 25 hp mariner with a thermostat control. Will I have issues if
I use the boat and then have below freezing temps after I put it back in the garage?
I am worried about water being trapped in the block after i shut it off. Or does the thermostat remain open and water drains out.

Thanks

..."does the thermostat remain open and water drains out."

Not usually. If you're worried, run the motor in a bucket of pink antifreeze until you see the antifreeze come out the Tell Tale.

Jeff

Most owners manuals have instruction for cold weather operation.------------------The big concern is the waterpump / lower unit.---------------It should be left submerged in the water.---------it should be submerged 10 / 15 minutes before starting.------When boat / motor are removed from water, the motor ( in normal running position ) will drain.-------Rotate motor by hand several turns to ensure water pump is drained.

So I should have no issues with early outings as long as I leave the motor down to drain?

years ago I took my I/O out early and then had freezing temps and froze my oil cooler. I hope not to have these types of probs with this outboard.

Larry

You should be fine. One thing to note is regarding the gas. It is recommended that you give the tank a good "shake" to make sure the oil/gas is mixed properly (if you run premix and can easily get at the tank - kinda tough to shake a "built in").

Gas/oil can separate to some degree from each other in extremely cold temps so giving the tank a good shake, or trailering down a really bumpy road, will help ensure that you don't end up with "oil starved" gas making it to the motor.

(credit for the tip goes to Mercury)

Back