Logo

1995 Johnson 88

tigershark

Contributing Member
"My Johnson 88 doesn't hav

"My Johnson 88 doesn't have the stock fuel pump installed. If you look at the picture attached you will see an electric pump has been installed. I'm wondering if I should go back to the original stock fuel pump?

The mechanic who installed it said they were the best things around. Other mechanics in my area have said the mechanic who installed this pump is about 90 cents short of a dollar (upstairs) lol

Supposedly, I'm turn the key in the ignition to the start position. The pump will start pumping. When the pump stops supposedly the fuel system is charged and then you turn the key to start the motor.

I have been having some cold starting problems. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with these pumps??

Any info would be great.

Thanks"

"ur buddies were right!...u ha

"ur buddies were right!...u have a fire hazard,for sure.....get off the elect fuel pump,bite the bullet,and inst,the correct parts....many have success w/that set-up.,,..many,...dont....flip the coin....an engine fire,wether,50 ft fr the boat ramp,...or 50 miles,off shore...is never,..a pleasant thing..most often,..disasterous!"

i run a 1995 evinrude 88...you

i run a 1995 evinrude 88...you dont need anything but original...have you determined if your cold start is electrical or fuel?throw an inductive timing light in the boat and see which it is...if it is fuel i would start by running a can of sea foam thru it mixed with gas..check the usual...fuel line etc for air leaks ..open clean vent on tank..make sure the connector that snaps on engine fuel connector is fully seated and snapped down..check the oring in that connector..

@ jwbmarine...So did you mean

@ jwbmarine...So did you mean that many have success with the electric fuel pump or with the stock fuel pump??

They was it was wired is shabby.

did you see the pic I attached?

"@ Carl..Its fuel, do you thin

"@ Carl..Its fuel, do you think the electric fuel pump is flooding the carbs? I have a lot of spark. I did have a slight miss/hesitation at low rpm. I believe it was because 2 of the spark plug wires went to the wrong cylinder. lol"

2 spark plug wires crossed wil

2 spark plug wires crossed will cause more than a slight miss on that engine....do yourself a favor and get rid of that pump...also get rid of that mechanic or whatever he calls himself..if you want to something productive in the fuel feed then replace all the external hoses with a 5/16 inch instead of 1/4 inch that you prolly have..its a 1995 and if they are original its time to replace them anyway..good luck..Carl

"the studder/hesitation is at

"the studder/hesitation is at idle/low rpm. When the engine starts to gain rpm it runs very smooth. When the boat is planned off, the motor is smooth and has no vibration. It a really cool site.

I'm changing the plugs and wires. I'm also running a can of sea foam in the next 3 times i'm out and about on the water."

"So I changed back to the OEM

"So I changed back to the OEM style pump. Now, at idle the motor surges a little then it falls back. I;m not sure what that could be except restricted fuel flow. The service manual says ' keep in mind that LOW vacuum supply from the crankcase or insufficient vacuum at the pump itself due to bad seals can also be the culprit of poor fuel delivery'

Its a new pump, So how do I check the vacuum supply from the crankcase? How would I go about fixing that?"

"ck fuel pump pressure,on the

"ck fuel pump pressure,on the outlet,to carbs..per manual specs...ck comp on the cyl,that the vacuum is drawn from....very rare...ck anti syphon valve on tank..if there...have u cleaned the carbs,i did not reread eveything...r they,clean...clean..?every orifice,tube,jet,...must be perfect,..in ur case,..i would suspect a cloged hole/holes,for the idle mixture,.on top,..of the carb,insd."

"What cylinder is the vacuum d

"What cylinder is the vacuum drawn from...I have 4 cylinders? Carbs were rebuilt by a mechanic in early May of this year. its a portable tank, so no anti-syphon valve.

Clogged holes for the idle mixture? How do I adjust that?

Thanks for the help!!!!!"

Back