Logo

1995 Johnson 115

SnipeOutboard

Needing help from experienced outboard individuals.

Having starting issues with a recent purchase. I bought the boat with a Johnson 115 and a bad fuel mixture pump. I replaced the fuel mixture pump, not cheap, when I tried to pump up the system I noticed some leaks in the VRO pump from the gasket. When it turned over it had no fire, or at least it didn't want to pop. This being on a new tank of gas I mixed up and not wanting to use the onboard tank yet. I checked the plugs and all were firing, compression tested each cylinder and I am at 150# throughout. So I decided maybe the carbs need cleaned.

I finished the carb rebuilds last night and reinstalled, along with the VRO pump gasket. Unfortunately, I continue to have the same problem. I still have fire at all plugs, compression (150psi) on all cylinders, new gas in the system, a firm bulb, but it doesn't want to fire. Or even try to fire. When I pull the spark plugs they look wet but don't smell like gas (my nose isn't always the best though). I noticed when I pulled the carbs apart last night in all of them but one the fast idle jet in the bottom of the float housing was loose. I suspect this will need to be adjusted but shouldn't prevent firing. I'm wondering about fire, I tested it with the spark plug resting along side the engine and it seemed sufficient. I've noticed people using a spark testing tool to force the coil to jump a larger gap, is this necessary? Could the coil produce enough spark at the plug but not enough to fire the fuel?

I'm stumped and I keep running MarineEngine blogs, so I thought I would register and ask the question here.

Any suggestions for me?

--SnipeOutboard

Pushing the key in and holding it in while cranking it over to start ?----Spark must jump a gap of 3/8" or more .----Make a crude test device with wire / cardboard / glue.----Never seen one with 150 PSI compression.----Model # of motor?----No idea why anyone would pay for a new factory fuel pump.

Back