Logo

1995 200 HP Evinrude Smokes at Idle amp starts hard cold

vindicator200

New member
"I have a 1995 Evinrude Vindic

"I have a 1995 Evinrude Vindicator 200 HP outboard. Lately it's been hard to start when cold and smokes a lot at idle speed. Runs fine at all speeds, but smokes more than it has in the past. The hard starting syptom seems to be due to lack of fuel. I have to push the key in to choke longer than in the past. I have to nurse the engine along until it catches. Again, it smokes like crazy once running. Ideas??

Thanks!"
 
"recirculation,valves...many o

"recirculation,valves...many overlook....plus,...u should do a good carb job every 2 yrs as well as wtr pump....i would ck the thermostats as well...(too cold at idle)
new recirc valves,make a big diff...in fact,..i just repl MY OWN,..in y 97 200 a cpl mos ago....u could troll all day w/it....this is dependent,upon all other systems wking properly."
 
"no-one,hardly ever repl recir

"no-one,hardly ever repl recirc valves,...and new ones make a big diffference,on ANY rebuild i do,they get new ones,..they are cheap,.(in my opin),and do a huge diff in idle characteristics....and,by removing/stabilizing fuel between cyl;s...make starting easier,i think....but mainly,idle performance,..is improved ,like u wont believe."
 
"Your problems might be relate

"Your problems might be related to fuel leaks(air into fuel system), or:
-Overpressure in oil tank. Oil is forced into the fuel part of the pump, and when starting the carburetors might have more oil than fuel.
-Smoking at idle in general might be caused by faulty/leaking thermostats and the engine runs too cold.
Does the quick start function work?"
 
"quick-start,is only activated

"quick-start,is only activated for a few moments..if u r in 80 degree wtr.....again,a good carb job,...is hard to beat...needles wear out,etc..etc....rebuild,every 2-3 yrs....u may blow out something,u never see.also,if u r premixing in tank,..u eventually,get the premix,..to rich,..."
 
"[i]Morton wrote: "Your p

"Morton wrote: "Your problems might be related to... Overpressure in oil tank. Oil is forced into the fuel part of the pump, and when starting the carburetors might have more oil than fuel. "


I'm not OP, but have a similar problem, so I'm watching this thread. Morton, how would the oil tank get overpressure?"
 
JWBMarine....where are these r

JWBMarine....where are these recirculating valves you are speaking of? I cannot find the word "recirculating" in any of the Evinrude parts lists.

Doug Selbee
 
"Doug took the question out of

"Doug took the question out of my mouth. What are recirc valves, and what is their function??
Jwbmarine, and Morton sure appear to be real pro's on marine engines, and most helpful to us wannabees.
What are you gentlemens opinion on sierra and mallory carbs kits?? I guess what I am asking, do these two brands give good fit and service when installed? Should the floats be replaced, as I do not believe they are included in the carb kits for my 200??
Thanks for your advice !!!!!!"
 
"my opinion,on sierra carbs ki

"my opinion,on sierra carbs kits ,is absolutely wonderful.....they r th eonly kits i use,...i can easily order OEM,...sierra,has stood the test of time,..and have excelled,as well as OEM,for the ethonal we are doomed to see...i have used sierra products,..for 27 yrs....
now,..back in the 80's.....i DID,have a prob w/impellers.........sierra,paid for my labor,..the customers down time(up to ,i think 250.00)..and for me to go back in...i use sierra kits exclusivley,.now,.if i was still at a FULL dealership,....of course,i would inst nothing but,omc/BRP....."
 
"11 0436194 FITTING, Recircu

"11 0436194 FITTING, Recirculating 6 $12.52 USD Available
thgey r not at that price tho..will post pic..hopefully.."
 
"number 11--<[img]"http://www.

"number 11--
218240.png"" alt=""
 
"ok,the purpose,of these,..rec

"ok,the purpose,of these,..recirc,valves,.is a fuel balancing act,(excess) between cylinders,to even out ,and balance fuel,intake,condensation,which,apparantly,is quite alot....a friend of mine,likened it to a pcv valve....however,its function,is much more important,it is not handling vapors,..only...raw,fuel,,,from say #1 cyl,..(excess) gets sent to # 6....just an example here,as i still have to look at hose routing...
this therefore,creates,a more evenly,BALANCED,idle characteristics.....
i recently,repl mine,in my 97 200,...u could blow thru,both direct's.,..which is terr....after repl them,...much better idle...."
 
"They are called 'check va

"They are called 'check valves' and located in the crank case. ( at the end of small hoses going from cylinder). One-way valves sucking fuel from intake ports back to intake manifold. If open both ways - You loose crank-case vacuum and ends up with a lot of unburned fuel in the crank case.
#12 on attached pic.
218244.gif
"
 
"now morty,..did u not see wha

"now morty,..did u not see what i JUST wrote--
11 0436194 FITTING, Recirculating 6 $12.52 USD Available"
 
"JWB:
Just a double posting.


"JWB:
Just a double posting. You wrote -I wrote at the same time. Probably server delay.
Depending of which application/manual You read, factory/seloc/other, unfortunately they have different names. Factory to my memory calls them check-valves. Sorry if interrupting."
 
I have a 60 hp Johnson that is

I have a 60 hp Johnson that is acting the same way. hard to start and a lot of smoke till it warms up then runs fine. but i dont see a recirc valve on the parts list for this engine. is there one?
 
"I have a J200TXSM And when I

"I have a J200TXSM And when I let the the boat set 90 days or so I have to drain the carbs they are full of oil, and wide open It runs find , but at idle to 2000 RPM it sounds like it's running on 3 holes"
 
Back
Top