Logo

1994 Yamaha 175

jdupreeIII

Hello. Glad to have found this forum and thanks for having me.

I bought an older Aquasport (for the boat itself) with the understanding that the motor would not run and might need to be overhauled. Good thing is I don't have much in the whole rig at all. Figured I would go through motor before attempting to start it since it has been sitting for around 5 years.

Carbs were a mess which I have redone. The initial compression check was good except for the top port cylinder which came in around 30 pounds less than the rest. So I pulled the head expecting to see damage. I don't see any damage or scoring in cylinder?? Cylinder is as smooth as a baby's behind. I put new head gaskets on and it improved about 10 pounds. I did notice on the old head gasket that oil was on the bottom of gasket for that cylinder. Looks like oil was escaping from the cylinder.

Could this possibly be a stuck ring? I was planning to hook a remote tank to it when I start it and load it up with sea foam.

So basically, this cylinder is still about 20 pounds less than the rest? I don't think that is enough to give up on the motor quite yet??

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

With motors that are built with precision computer machined parts the 20 lbs missing is a concern.-------Sounds like you found out why it was sitting for these years.-----Perhaps it just needs a new piston / rings now.

That may be the case. Going to get it back together and crank it up and decarb the heck out of that cylinder. Since that compression is only 20 pounds off from the rest, I would assume it will run fairly well being a V6?

Back