Logo

1994 Mercury Mariner 15HP

SW_Boater

Found a 1994 Mercury Mariner 15 hp outboard motor for sale. It appears to be in excellent cosmetic condition and was only used 4 or 5 times before the owner passed away (estate sale). Very little lower end or prop wear (OEM prop). Hasn't been run in 10 years so I'm asuming the carb needs to be removed and cleaned.

What kind of general reputation does this particular motor have? Easy to get parts? Ease of maintenance?

Thank you!

Run a compression test on her,Assuming she was stored properly"fogged", a little lube in plugs holes couldn't hurt before test, Yes to entire fuel system getting cleaned from tank to carb,lines,pump,bulb, etc.

Run a compression test on her,Assuming she was stored properly"fogged", a little lube in plugs holes couldn't hurt before test, Yes to entire fuel system getting cleaned from tank to carb,lines,pump,bulb, etc.

Thanks for the reply. Is there a minimum PSI of compression I should be looking for, or is a good "balance" between the two cylinders sufficient?

Before purchase, my plan was to check compression, verify spark, and maybe a quick look at the lower end gear oil to make sure there's no obvious metal contaminants.

And put an impeller in.

Jeff
Thanks for the tip. Are you referring to the impeller for the water pump?

Thanks for the reply. Is there a minimum PSI of compression I should be looking for, or is a good "balance" between the two cylinders sufficient?

Before purchase, my plan was to check compression, verify spark, and maybe a quick look at the lower end gear oil to make sure there's no obvious metal contaminants.

And put an impeller in.

Jeff
Thanks for the tip. Are you referring to the impeller for the water pump?

Back