Logo

1994 Johnson Fast Strike trim sending unit

joho5

I believe my sender is bad. I bought this used boat and like 1 gauge of the 6 worked so I replaced them all. After replacing, the trim gauge doesnt read right (and yes I got the johnson evinrude gauge). The gauge has a good ground and good 12v power. Now when I test resistance on the sending unit wire...as the lever is moved, it only gives back a reading in a very small portion of the movement of the arm. When the motor is trimmed all the way down or I manually depress the lever, there is a small range of motion where it sends back about 59-62 ohms of resistance. When its all the way up, it shows nothing...and nothing when depressing most of the range...when I get to one point, it will register a little and it makes the needle move on the gauge.

My question is, from the sender, where does that sleeve of two wires go? I can see it going up into the motor casing, but cannot find it inside anywhere at all. Ive read it goes to the relay control trim box, but I dont see it on there. I can go back and look harder, but I do believe the wires that come from the sender have a plug on end, by looking at schematics.

Basically, I want to buy and install a new sender, but want to know how to install the wires...where do they go from the sender?

thanks!

Ive gained a little information in the mean time and understand that removing the belly pan (lower cowl) makes this job easier. My question is, is removing the port side lower cowl on this motor an easy task so I can get up under there?

thanks

To check the gauge, simply ground the "S" (sensor) terminal of the gauge. If that pegs the needle, the gauge is okay.

A ohm meter connected to the senders two wires should move smoothly from one low reading to the highest without skipping, jumping, sticking, whatever... just smoothly and steady, any thing but... replace it!

If the wires lead under the hood to the powerhead, they probably lead to a black plastic rectangular PTT junction box, but there may be a connection point outside of the box.

To check the gauge, simply ground the "S" (sensor) terminal of the gauge. If that pegs the needle, the gauge is okay.

A ohm meter connected to the senders two wires should move smoothly from one low reading to the highest without skipping, jumping, sticking, whatever... just smoothly and steady, any thing but... replace it!

If the wires lead under the hood to the powerhead, they probably lead to a black plastic rectangular PTT junction box, but there may be a connection point outside of the box.

There is a connection point somewhere...I just cant see where to get to it. I think if I can get the lower cowl off on that side, it would open all that up.

I am just wondering what kind of job it is to remove port side lower cowl.

thanks a ton for the response.

I retired in 1991 but it's unlikely the design would change vastly. Look it over closely, probably just a few long bolts going into the other side.

I retired in 1991 but it's unlikely the design would change vastly. Look it over closely, probably just a few long bolts going into the other side.

Thanks Joe...appreciate the wealth of help and knowledge you have provided all these years. I will holler back if I have any additional questions.

it looks to me from seeing another video that some of my confusion is cleared...possibly! I think access to the wires I need to get to are behind the carb cover...whatever that big black thing that covers up all the carbs. I believe the wires come straight up through there, instead of more toward the port side. I will see when I get home.

Back