Logo

1994 Evinrude 225 hp OceanPro does not shift

bay

Last season the engine was shifting stif/hard (not banging into gear) now it will not shift into forward or reverse. With the cables disconnected at the engine, the control handle at the helm moves freely. Also, the engine will not shifts manually. The engine was not running for these tests. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be, or something simpler I can try first, before I drop the gearcase.
Any help is appreciated.

Re: 1994 Evinrude 225 OceanPro does not shift

Prop should be turned by an assistant if you are trying to shift !---------------Salt water motor ??---------------what does oil drained from lower unit look like ( any metal bits on the magnet )??--------------Does the shift rod move up and down ???

If the lower gear oil is not filled with metal, remove the lower unit and check the shift rod linkage, make sure it moves freely. The linkage I am referring to is at the base of the front of the engine in the cowling. Most owners do not service this linkage and they stiffen up.

Racerone,

Yes, salt water motor.
Tried turning the prop and shifting, no change. The prop turns freely.
Oil looks murky, medium brown. I was going to wait until it settled to post that. OMC claims that their oil can tolerate some water and still do the job. I know it’s not good, I was thinking that was a separate issue of the oil seals at the prop shaft.
No metal bits just a little metal hair on the magnet, pretty much the usual. Does not seem to be enough metal to indicate n excessive ware issue.
Just disconnected the shaft rod from the linkage. The linkage moves freely. So, even though there is no room to grab on to the shaft rod it’s safe to say it does not move.

Racerone and Docksidemarine service thanks for replying

Sounds like your upper linkage is froze up or the o-rings around the shift rod in the g/c are swelled.

Found the problem it’s the 2 o-rings and the grommet in the gear case at the shift rod.

Docksidemareenservice, good pint most owners do not service this equipment. Me being one of them. It should definitely be done with every water pump service. It is a cheap and easy job, 2 o-rings, grommet and a gasket.

Thanks to all.

Back