Logo

1993 weak spark saga

FredCombs

hello all. I have posted this problem before so this is an update of sorts. I have gotten some excellent test info from Joe Reeves along with other from this forum. here is what I have. 1993 60hp evinrude. I am having intermittent starting problems with it. one day it will fire great, next day it may not fire at all. compression is 105 on all three cylinders. Here is what i have done so far. Removed black yellow kill wire, didnt seem to have an effect, the condition still continues. I do not have a fancy DVA meter so I guess the only checks I will be able to make are OHM checks. I am checking key switch this weekend. Looked at Stator and there is no sticky residue leaking down anywhere. I replaced starter this season along with flywheel. When I hook it up to an inline spark tester I do get spark, but it is orange or yellowish in color. What is this telling me? when it will not start it does sputter and seem like it is going to fire but does not. any thoughts.

Here are my findings.
These are all resistance readings
Brown to brown yellow- 0
Orange to orange black. 1400
White to purple 0
White to blue 0
White to green 0
Orange blue to blue 0
Orange to orange green 0

Are yur battery connections clean and shiney bright? Has battery been load tested? Starter must spin the motor 250-300 RPMS for a good bright spark and be able to fire under compression. May be worth a looksee.

Disregard other post reardingbmybresistance readings. Had some bad batteries in my meter lol. Stator and timer base checked out one. But when I got to power pack and took my resistance readings they were not within spec.

Back