Logo

1993 Evinrude 50 hp. Missing water tube .

WillyG

New member
I replaced the water pump and impeller. As I was getting ready to slide the lower unit back in, I learned that the water tube was not there. Where it went is a head scratcher. It didn't fall out when I lowered the lower unit, I definitely would have noticed it on the floor or heard it hit. I looked up into the chamber with an endo camera and wasn't able to see it. I'm at a loss as to where it went. I even questioned if this motor was designed to not have a water tube. But it wouldn't make sense. This is the first time I've done anything that required dropping the L Unit. I was given the boat after my dad passed. I don't know when he may have had the water pump and impeller serviced. After looking into the cost of getting a water tube replaced i'm just sick to my stomach. Where do I start? Any advice would be welcomed. TIA.
 
There is no water tube on that motor.------Just make sure you install the seal between internal water passage and pump housing.
 
That's what I get for listening to Google. I've gotten a lot more confidence in doing my own work, only because of youtube and other how to videos. I specifically said in my search to confirm, " Is it possible that this motor is designed without a water tube " The response was like an actual human. Warning me to cease my attempt to run it without the water tube. I was skeptical because my camera reached all the way up to the point it wasn't going any further, and I didn't see any type of grommet or place the tube would connect. However, I was given a part # and image of a water tube that supposedly fit my motor. Do you have any idea why the correct info was not in the database? I wonder how it was missed.
Enough of the wondering. I am so grateful for your response. You made my day racerone! The people like you make these forums what they are. I have the new impeller and pump housing in place. Gasket under the spacer plate then impeller with paddles in the right direction, housing bolted in place. Now I hope it lines up as far as the splines on the drive shaft. You got a new fan Racerone!
 
Because AI is AI & not that of an experienced old guy.

Earlier motors used a copper tube, I'm not sure of the cut over year.
 
The 2 cylinder 40 thru 50 did not use a copper water tube beginning in 1989.-----The 3 cylinder 25 and 35 HP also did not use a copper water tube.-----The passage way for water is cast into the exhaust housing.
 
Back
Top