Logo

1993 bf50 not peeing all the time

Tom gunn

Hi. New here. My lightly used '93 Honda 50 does not pee all the time. Had it fully serviced 5 years ago, have replaced impeller twice since as well as thermostat. Runs fine, doesn't over heat, but am concerned as all other outboards I've owned have peed all the time. Any suggestions? I use it mostly in fresh water but occasionally in salt water... always flused after each use. And, yes, with secondary input plugged :rolleyes:

Are you sure that it isn't just some obstruction in the pee hole? Our BF50 pee holes block really easily. I just remove the cowl, pull the rubber hose off the pee outlet, let the water flow for a few seconds and put the hose back on. Usually takes less than 2 minutes to fix.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, done all that. I even keep a little wire to clean out the nozzle when running in salt water. My will pee fine for a while, stop, then continue to be fine again. Have had some tell me it is normal for this engine so when I saw this forum, thought I check to see if others have had the issue too and if they solved it or it is just "nature of the beast".

This is not normal. It is very likely that there is some debris that occasionally gets caught at the metal nipple on the block. Next time it stops peeing, remove the hose and unscrew the nipple. You will probably find the debris...maybe even small pebbles.
If you are able to run the engine, the rest of the debris will probably be flushed out. It will get water inside you engine cowling...but it will drain out.

Mike

Thanks, Hondadude. I have pulled the short rubber tube coming off the block, but not while running. When we thaw out up here I'll give that a try. Is there a reasonable way to check for obstruction between the pump and this outlet? Any way to gage the water flow I have vs what it should be? I've had a 4hp Yamaha that put out a stronger stream than this one! Love this motor... just not sure if the cooling is what it should be. Again, thanks for your responses.

The "little rubber hose" is actually a service item......just like th pump. It gets hardened over time and, when it gets hard, it won't allow small debris to work it's way out as easily. I recommend replacement of that hose every third season to keep it soft and pliable.

Having said that, hondadude is probably on the money (always is) with removing the nipple on the block.

To address your question about flow; it should be a veritable gush from the block with the nipple removed when idling and should turn into a small "firehose" with elevated revs.

If the nipple trick doesn't work then you may have a connection problem with the water tube from the pump to the block. If that's the case you need to pull the gearcase and investigate immmediately since THAT will effect engine cooling whether it seems like it or not.

Good luck

Good point on rubber hose. Never replaced. Have also read about back flushing from thermostat housing. Good advice I will follow when weather allows! From all the responses I now have idea on how to test each component from intake to pee nozzle! Thanks to all for the help. I'll post results from this complete check.

Add one other thing to your list, if all that fails. It is possible that whomever changed the water pump did not watch real close when putting the lower unit back on to be sure that the water tube it squarely in the hole of the top of the water pump.

If you remove the lower unit and see a sharp grove in the rubber grommet on the water pump housing, then you know it did not quite make it in.

Mike

Add one other thing to your list, if all that fails. It is possible that whomever changed the water pump did not watch real close when putting the lower unit back on to be sure that the water tube it squarely in the hole of the top of the water pump.

If you remove the lower unit and see a sharp grove in the rubber grommet on the water pump housing, then you know it did not quite make it in.

Mike

Thanks. Looks like it's going to be a top to bottom, systematic check of the whole shebang replacing everything replaceable.

Back