Logo

1993 50 hp over heat alarm sounds continuously

87concord

Regular Contributor
Working on a 1993 50 hp on a pontoon boat. The boat was sitting for a few years and while sitting somebody tried to steal motor and cut all wires and cables. Ordered new remote and wiring harness and cables and installed them. Boat started ok but ended up needing carbs cleaned. Done. Now we are running good except for the fact that the over heat alarm is going off even when motor is cold. You can wiggle the key and it goes off and comes right back on. If you unhook the wire from the sensor on the motor it still blares but if you unhook the wire at the remote it quits. The horn is in the remote which is brand new so we are kinda stumped and hoping we didn't get a faulty remote and horn. The fact that wiggling the key affects it is making me think bad ground or bad switch but not real familiar with how everything is wired together. Any advice would be great so we can get it working properly for the weekend.

Ok update, while it was being tested on hose while working on carbs the muffs fell off for a minute and triggered it initially, after carb work it was run around the lake for an hour with no issues. Boat sits for 36 hours and as soon as you turn key alarm sounds. Just trying to get all details, if I missed something let me know

IF the horn was going off while on the muffs ONLY, that's not unusual sine your hose doesn't make that much flow.

Jeff

The boat is sitting in the lake and the horn goes off before the engine is started and continues to sound even after it is started and running

Sounds more like a short in the alarm circuit. The horn is "going to ground" as soon as the key is turned..

Back