Logo

1993 225 where is shift rod connected

smitair17

Contributing Member
"I need to take the lower unit

"I need to take the lower unit off to change the water pump....have never done this before. I am a subscriber of SelocOnline, but the picture is awful, I can't see where it points to when showing the nut that needs to be removed to disengage the shift rod. Can someone explain it to me, possibly using the numbers on the diagram?
251232.jpg
Shift Rod Linkage

"The diagram is cut off, but t

"The diagram is cut off, but there is a screw, a special screw, it is pointed on the end, that screws into part number 20. You cannot see it on the diagram, as it is above where the pic is cut off. Remove that screw, from the port side under the carbs, (screw goes through the top of the shift shaft), and proceed with removal of the LU."

"remove bolt 34,not in ur pic,

"remove bolt 34,not in ur pic,...3/8 i believe...that disc shift rod,..then g-case bolts,remove trim tab,get bolts under there."

be careful that lu will probab

be careful that lu will probably be heavy..........ive seen on here some people like to use an old tire or wooden shipping pallet to put under it in case it gets dropped.

probably easier with 2 people....especially during reassembly.

"Yes it is a 3/8 hex head, but

"Yes it is a 3/8 hex head, but it also has a slot for a flat head screwdriver. It is a special screw, that forms the top pivot point for the shift rod when it is installed correctly."

"Here is another diagram.....i

"Here is another diagram.....its number 34? Therefore the head of the bolt is facing the port side? Meaning, when looking at it from in the boat, the bolt is on the starboard side of the engine, and the head is on the right side of the bolt? It looks like it is screwed in from right to left, is this correct?
251236.jpg
New Diagram

"Man, you are obsessing about

"Man, you are obsessing about this too much. Take off the port side lower engine pan, look under the carbs, and see part #34 as JWB says, and put a 3/8" socket on it and take it out. It comes out to the left side, and goes back in from the left side.
It is simple, you are making it too hard.
Part #20 is slotted (doesn't show in the pic) and the top of the shift rod goes in the slot, the bolt #34 is installed, and "pins" the top of the shift shaft into the slot in #20. You will see."

"also note that where this thi

"also note that where this thing is located can make it a pain to guide back together if you are doing this alone..........i had my wife help me, reluctantly i might add, using a looong screwdriver and a flashlight.

and when putting the bolt back in i used a magnet.........i work on cars so i have one, i dont know anyone else who has one except mechanics. its has a flexible body with a retractable magnet......it sure makes things easier in those harde to reach places....ive read some people just pull the bottom carb.........of course mines a lot older than yours so this may not apply to yours."

"I had the exact same engine.

"I had the exact same engine. The top of the shift rod is under the bottom carb. You may have to get some of the fuel line around the fuel pump out of the way, but it is easy to remove the bolt from the port side. I think you are better off using a socket or nut drive on a flexible extension."

"Got it! It wasn't as har

"Got it! It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be! Saved close to $300 doing it myself! It would have been $150/hr. and they said they charge for 2 hrs for a water pump, which means it would cost 4 times the price of the pump just to put it in."

Back