Logo

1992 25 hp evinrude won't idle well below 1000-1200 rpm......

cjbrill715

Regular Contributor
Needle is set at 1.5 turns out, base plate is fully retarded, if i go much beyond a quarter turn in or out on the needle, it kills it. My question is, will it hurt the motor to idle at this rpm range??....It runs awesome other than that, and it'll troll down to 2.7 mph(good enough for me) Just wondering if there is something im missing, or an adjustment/carb cleaning needs to be done??
 
It should idle down nicely.----Perhaps throttle plate is opening too early.----What other trouble shooting / inspection have you done.-----It is not always a " carburetor " issue.
 
It should idle down nicely.----Perhaps throttle plate is opening too early.----What other trouble shooting / inspection have you done.-----It is not always a " carburetor " issue.[/QUOTE

The throttle plate doesn't start to open until the roller gets slightly past the two notches on the throttle cam....so at idle, the roller is probably 3/4" to the right of the two notches....(if you are facing the motor from carburetor side) So it's retarded good...all my fuel lines are zip tied. The motor was converted from a 20 to a 25 hp via carb, intake manifold, throttle cam, and timing adjustment, but even as a 20 hp, it idled the same. Once i get the idle down to 1000 rpm, it gradually idles down on it's own over 30 seconds or so, but it gets rougher, and bucks more, and once it hits like 880 or so, it cuts out entirely....Not sure what more to do....Could it be an ignition issue?
 
Does spark fire across a gap of 3/8" or more , yes or no ?----Have you checked the flywheel key, yes or no ?----What are the compression reading on this motor ?
 
Does spark fire across a gap of 3/8" or more , yes or no ?----Have you checked the flywheel key, yes or no ?----What are the compression reading on this motor ?

I'll have to check these. The Marina I bought it from a year ago claimed it had 130 psi on both cylinders, and i took their word for it, because it always starts 1st or 2nd pull, and the motor showed almost zero signs of use.
 
It was 130 psi a year ago , but you are having trouble today.----Perhaps take it back to them to sort out this idle issue.-----It will not take very long !
 
Needle is set at 1.5 turns out, base plate is fully retarded, if i go much beyond a quarter turn in or out on the needle, it kills it. My question is, will it hurt the motor to idle at this rpm range??....It runs awesome other than that, and it'll troll down to 2.7 mph(good enough for me) Just wondering if there is something im missing, or an adjustment/carb cleaning needs to be done??
I was having issues like this last year on my 1985 20hp.I would hit the same rpms and it would want to stall.I had multiple issues, some due to old age of motor.I had a lead plug on top of carb come out/loose for slow speed circuit and was sucking air.Also, I found the fuel pump to block gasket(all appeared original and screws were tight) was sucking air and it was running lean and the pistons showed it.Think I also found air being sucked in from one of the small fuel lines(zip tied) going to carb or manfold or manual fuel primer, I can't remember which it was now.After I got things sealed up properly and the lead plug fixed and a good carb. clean also it ran and idled like new and I could drop the idle way down and put a tach on it for fun.
 
Last edited:
I was having issues like this last year on my 1985 20hp.I would hit the same rpms and it would want to stall.I had multiple issues, some due to old age of motor.I had a lead plug on top of carb come out/loose for slow speed circuit and was sucking air.Also, I found the fuel pump to block gasket(all appeared original and screws were tight) was sucking air and it was running lean and the pistons showed it.Think I also found air being sucked in from one of the small fuel lines(zip tied) going to carb or manfold or manual fuel primer, I can't remember which it was now.After I got things sealed up properly and the lead plug fixed and a good carb. clean also it ran and idled like new and I could drop the idle way down and put a tach on it for fun.

Thanks man, I will check these items. So if I follow you, you replaced the fuel pump gasket, and used a zip tie to fix the hose leak??….
 
Last edited:
Sorry for late response.I did a rebuild on the pump which included the gasket.I did get new zip ties( the type that are made for fuel lines with the curved head) for the hoses and I did use clamps on acouple and I did replace one of the tiny hoses from the maual primer to the top of the carb. near maniflod and I also cut the end off alittle on one of the small hoses I believe since it was expanded and leaking and was not snug on the fitting.
 
Back
Top