Logo

1991 Evinrude 40 driveshaft

Jeepersjoel

Anyone know how these driveshafts were made? I have one that has broken into just above the water pump and it appears to have an inner core. Were these manufactured in 2 or 3 pcs and welded together?

Anyone know how these driveshafts were made? I have one that has broken into just above the water pump and it appears to have an inner core. Were these manufactured in 2 or 3 pcs and welded together?
“I have no idea” or “Why would it matter” or “That’s a dumbass question” would all be appropriate responses.

Shaft and lower portion so 2 pieces. ----Only used in the 1989 / 90 / 91 / 92 models.
You’re not referring to the 2 pc design like the V4 & V6 have with the spline and clip connections are you? My reason for inquiring was to get information for repairing. This shaft was originally what appeared as a one pc design, not as the above description. After machining, center drilling and press fitting a center plug splice, then tig welding and heat treatment it’s going back together. I found no evidence of this being the original mfg process, although on initial inspection of broken shaft it appeared that way.

The shaft is stainless and the bottom part is quality carbon steel ( casehardened ? ) precision ground for the bearings.----So it was 2 different materials assembled by experts

Back