Logo

1991 Evinrude 115 No power out of the hole

bark_lake

New member
"<font face=""courier new"">Ge

"<font face=""courier new"">Gentlemen I have an 1991 Evinrude 115 HP model VE115TLEIE serial G02653878 on a 16.5 foot Thundercraft bowrider weighing about 1800 lbs. It has a 3 blade prop 13 x 19.

The problem is that it is slow to get out of the hole especially with weight in the rear such as a water skier. Full throttle at take off with a load is about 2500 rpm.

I did a compression test with results as follows.
UL 103 lbs UR 73 lbs LL 103 lbs LR 103 lbs

I injected oil into the cylinders and tested again.
UL 125 lbs UR 135 lbs LL 142 lbs BR 160 lbs

From this information can someone give me a diagnosis on this engine. Is it rings valves both or something else. What is the correct compression for this engine.

Thank you for your time. Bruce Henderson</font>"
 
you need to pull the head.....

you need to pull the head....... bare minimum!!

you have some low #s and what appears to be a dead cyl.

you may get lucky and only need a head gasket..... ill keep my fingers crossed for you
 
"around 120 / 130 is ideal for

"around 120 / 130 is ideal for those they should all be within 10% of each other/like david stated
pull the head look for scoring/excessive wear in the low reading cyls,do it quickly you can save your self some money if damage is not too severe.
sounds like rings/seals etc"
 
"<font face=""courier new"">Da

"<font face=""courier new"">David and Charles I appreciate your effort in my case. I am going to get some new gaskets before opening this engine. Thanks. Bruce Henderson</font>"
 
Back
Top