Logo

1991 3 cyl looper regulator/rectifier

doryman

Mercury SN 0D03288... I am just getting this motor back up after an ignition failure last fall. Stator and switchbox. The new CDI stator is incompatible with the stock rectifier and needs a regulator/rectifier. The mercury reg/rec is a 5 wire unit, with 2 red wires. I have a new Sierra reg/rec with 4 wires(1 red wire) from a 1991 Force 70 hp that I retired. The Force uses the same stator, but the earlier Mercury 3 cyl switchbox with the ring type terminals. My question is...Is there any reason that I can not or should not use the 4 wire reg/rec on the Merc, just connected like the Force. Thanks, JE

Thanks, Jeff. I will hook it up. It was bad enough having a double whammy, expensive failure. That motor owes me. I just fished it last season, couple hundred hours or so. Nice running motor, till it quit.
JE

This reg/rec I have will bolt right up down where the rectifier was. It is a tight fit. My question is,...Is that a reasonably cool place?, or is it a hot, regulator eating location that was chosen for convenience because it was the last unoccupied 5.675 sq. in. on the powerhead??. I could add a finned heatsink if needed.

One more,...Who manufactured this engine?.
JE

We seem to think alike, as we did over on the Old Merc forum. In this case it's actually easier for me to take the finned heatsink off of a dead marine VHF, cut it down a bit, drill two holes in the plate, and thru bolt the assembly to the block with the fins against the block and the regulator against the flat plate. The fins will space it off the block about an inch.
JE

Back