Logo

1990Bayliner Trophy twin Force 120s Hydraulic steering hoses burst

gica69

Regular Contributor
So I am including the pictures of everything related to this issue and hope that there is a solution to not take out the old hoses which is harder that impossible.
So they had kinks in them at the ends which I ignored for a long time and while at the Channel Islands one burst. I got a tow back luckily I have a membership to BoatUS and don't need to worry.
Where can I find replacement ends do they need crimping the hoses are still good and there is room for cutting.
The hose is a SEASTAR I, II Steering Hose 501 Made in the USA QC90C09L1
Thanks in advance.
 

Attachments

  • Steer1.jpg
    Steer1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 36
  • STeer2.jpg
    STeer2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Steer3.jpg
    Steer3.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 37
  • STeer4.jpg
    STeer4.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 34
  • STeer5.jpg
    STeer5.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 33
I will eventually get new hoses. This is a manual low psi system not high pressure so they should hold burst. I have never used those connectors but they use them on most newer systems with no issues.
What fluid are you guys using for this system. I know seastar has its own Iso15 fluid but I have to order it and it won't get here this weekend.
What substitute can I use What do you guys use
 
it is either Seastar 1 or 2 with the manual pump at the helm
Also my hose did not swell it just formed a bent crease from the position it was in. I am thinking of devising something to keep it from doing so right at the end maybe a cut tube with zip ties. Any suggestions?
 
Take Fitz’s advice, change the hose. If it burst using a low pressure system…
It did not burst no swelling at the ends, it kinked over and over and broke at the crease created from the kink while moving the engines. It was like this for the past 2 years since I got the boat and it must have been like that for a lot longer if the guy felt the need to put a plastic tube over the area with zip ties. It did not explode fluid around the area it just leaked the fluid out.
I am sure there is pressure but not anywhere near 1k rating on the hose but yeah there is pressure how high have no clue. It could be high but doubt it's even 500 psi maybe 100. But these connectors screw on the hose from outside and inside. Pretty smart idea. And I got 4 quarts of Aviation Hydraulic fluid mil 5606 from a friend at a small airport near me. It they bust up I can always cut a little and put them back to get back to Port. I will test it and see. If it fails then no problem I will buy the new hoses.
The issue with that on this boat is I have very little space there to maneuver things going through. I added 3 cables for transducers and some extra electrical cables for the fish finders and an extra fuse box. It was a pain to get them through with a snake.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top