Logo

1990 OMC vertical drive problems

M

Miss Boating

" We have been told by a deale

" We have been told by a dealer that we need to replace the complete upper vertical drive(due to poor winterizing). They want to charge us $4000(Just for the vertical drive/labor). We have located a rebuilt one($1495), but now need to either do it ourselves or have someone install it for us. Questions: CAN we do this ourselves?(never having done this before); What manual is the best one for do it yourselfers?; and what precautions need to be taken for taking on such a huge job?? One more thing, the dealer says we have a 4" crack in the block, underneith the engine which can be seen with a mirror. There is no water in the oil, and the engine was running great until we heard the gears go, engine then quit. Still ran, but went no where. Question: Too many problems here? What would you do? If you have read this so far, thanks. We have a great big mess on our hands. HELP P.S. Boat is in great shape otherwise.(Cris Craft 1990 w/OMC Cobra 4.3L V6) "

" First, check your insurance.

" First, check your insurance. I have heard that this freezing damage might be covered in some instances. If it is covered, it is likely that it will be totaled, depending on the coverage.

If you need to replace the upper, you can do it yourself, but it is about as complicated as replacing a Waterpump in a car. (Care for the machined faces, good gaskets,etc.) There are a lot of manuals, Chilton, Haynes, etc, that give step by step instructions. You can get the upper gearcase off without special tools, but there is usually alot of corrosion in the sea-water tube that runs through the lower unit. Be patient, and with a little elbow grease (and WD40) it will come loose. REPLACE ALL O-RINGS AND GASKETS THAT YOU REMOVE!!!

Also, with the Cobra outdrive, Make sure it is filled with oil. If you are short, you will get about 15 minutes until it eats the upper gearcase again.

What would I do? It depends on if the cracked block really is cracked. Replacing an engine isn't cheap, and is not a job for the faint of heart.

Good luck "

" CJ, how can we be sure if t

" CJ, how can we be sure if the block is actually cracked? We think the dealer just wanted our boat(as a trade in). Is there some kind of test that could be done on it to see if it is cracked?? Tried going the route of insurance...no go. They want to go after our friend who did the winterizing for us, but we just can't do that. But he's willing to help pay for the damages. As for the O/D, it's already off(dealer pulled it), so we just need to put it back together with the rebuilt one. Thakyou for your advice. Nancy "

" A friend who is a car mechan

" A friend who is a car mechanic or any local car mechanic can also check and see if the block is cracked. There is a coupler on the rear of the engine which has a rubber hub like the propeller which may have slipped,therefore the engine would run and go nowhere. If you find that the block is cracked, then you can contact me at dania marine at 1-800-748-7739 and I will be glad to help you in any way. thank you, gabriel "

Back