Logo

1990 Johnson 48SPL Running On One Cylinder

Racer is correct, likely the coil. The impedance is really not an effective diagnosis, you just did the most effective test.

Sometimes the coils will arc, or short under load. These coil failures can be more difficult to check, if not impossible, using a multimeter.

I got the new coil today. Installed and had great spark to the bottom coil and better spark than I had at top coil wire. Driveway test with hose and confirmed that both cylinders are firing now. Unfortunately the weather is turning here and it will be a cold water test drive. I really appreciate the walk through and helping me solve this problem. It was and will be a learning experience.

LOL ! I don't think so but here's what happened. I got the 87 Bass Tracker Free with 35 HP Mercury. The part of the river that I want to run is shallow. Craigslist guy wanted even swap 48 SPL with jet pump for a prop motor. Now am running on both cylinders. BTW ... Its my first boat so I am new to all of this.

UPDATE : Okay guys , I got a chance to test drive today. The motor is definitely firing on both cylinders. Pulls a nice hole shot and planes out quick. I have many adjustments that will only make it better. I think I am having fuel delivery problems but will start a new thread for that. AGAIN I want to thank you all for helping me solve this problem.

Okay, good job and glad the guys could help......I just chime in here to learn and add a little support. I really focus on the earlier machines.....like pre 1990.

Back