Logo

1990 J120TLASB missing VRO Pump

Scott Payne

Hi, I took this motor in for a diagnostic cause it woudl run for a couple of minutes and stop. They said it was getting good spark and had good compression. They recommended replacing the electric solenoid fuel pump (summit racing and CG approved) with an mechanical pump. This was my dad's boat and he never mentioned having a fuel pump problem. It does not have the original vro pump or bracket. Can anyone point me to the right diaphram pump without the oiler. I would rather just mix it since there isn't a good place for the tank. BTW- when I rebuilt the carbs one of the manifold gaskets (the one that looks like silly band) got pinched a tore. Is it safe to put a dab of silicone at the tear? Thanks

I believe you can use a 1983 pulse pump Off of a 90hp, can you keep the engine running pumping on the primer bulb and does the bulb get hard before you start the motor. Your gonna want to replace all the fuel lines also. I dont use silicone anywhere fuel or oil it never lasts first you need to confirm if it even leaks while the engine is running get a length of vacuum hose and put one end up to your ear and search around with the other end you will hear any leaks the closer the louder. be careful of moving parts.

Hi thank you, when I replace all the hoses can I just use hose from my local auto parts store or do they need to be marine hoses?

HI. Thanks for all the suggestions. I rebuilt the carbs, again. This time I used an ultrasonic cleaner and thoroughly cleaned them. I then went to a Johnson dealer and bought new fuel and primer lines. I also ultrasound cleaned the T's. Put it all back together and it cranked first time. It may still be a wet summer! ;)

Back