Logo

1989 Wellcraft 2.5L with 1.98 outdrive gears to a 1.84 geared outdrive?

wellcraft 1989

Ok, I have a wellcraft 1989 2.5L with the outdrive gears 1.98. Can i use an outdrive with the 1.84 gears. I have currently ruined my uper unit. I bought the 1.84 geared complete outdrive super cheap. I was wondering if I could use this and it wouldn't bog down my boat to much. I have research alot in prop hydraulics. It seems like this hasn't been tried before. I am currently running a 17 pitch prop. I was wondering if i switch outdrives if I could prop change to make up the difference. Any Ideas?

I have got information from some mechanics that this cannot be done. That the 1.84 gears and the 1.65 are used in V6's and the 3.7L 4cyl. Still I do beleave that the gear ratio isn't that far off. Maybe it could work. Anyone everheard of it or seen this work?

because you are running a 17P prop now, you need to stick with the 1.98

or a 1.94 replacement

if your current prop was a 21 or 23, maybe a 15P would get you in the ballpark, but from 17 you aren't going to get where you need to be

OK. I have read that guys have change from there 1.5 V8's to a 1.65 or an 1.84 gear ratio. It seems to me that the 1.84 to 1.98 is less of a change or even a 1.84 to a 1.94 replacement. Why would it work in the other direction but not the way i am trying. I can run a 19 pitch prop i just resorted to the 17 for more torque or ski power. The 1.84 has 17-19 tooth count , and the 1.98 has 20-24 tooth count. If i Changed why would this not work?

Please any more comments would be greatly appreciated

Ayuh,.... Because the smallest prop possible is the 15", 'n it'll be a Dog on power, 'n will burn holes through the tops of the pistons, from detonation...

But,...

If ya think it'll work,..... Go for it....

Back