Logo

1989 Johnson Tilt Tube Question

itsanss

I'm wanting to convert my 1989 Johnson 25HP from tiller steer to remote steer. I know that I need a tilt tube. Trying to figure out if all I need is the tube or if there is something more to it. I just don't see how the tube attaches to the motor.

Thanks

PS I would insert an imagine, but when I upload it, nothing happens.

Part number SA27055P

Thanks, that's very helpful.

Ok, I'm a total newb here... What I'm trying to accomplish is to convert from tiller to remote steer, like I said. So I'll need this transom bracket, a steering kit (was thinking SeaStar SS137), a steering wheel (was thinking about Amarine Destroyer 9310SRF1). I'm also wanting to convert to remote throttle/shift control (was thinking about UltraFlex Single Function Dual Lever Side Mount Control).

What I'm also needing to know is how to correctly measure for steering cable length...It's about two feet from where I want the steering wheel to side of boat, then about eight feet from side of boat to transom, and about two feet from side of boat to center of outboard motor. But I'm not sure where the transom steering mount goes exactly and I assume I will want to measure to that location rather than center of motor....unless mount goes near center of motor. Guess I also need to figure out proper lengths for the throttle and shift cables as well.

Also need to figure out what shift and throttle cables I will need that will both hook to the motor and also to the remote controls. I think I will need an additional bracket for the shift linkage....the motor has a spot where a bracket would mount to, but no bracket, of course. Looks like I will just need to drill a hole in the existing shift lever and put a mount in it to push/pull the lever with a cable.

Sorry for all the questions! But I'm excited to think about remotely controlling the motor!! Would make the boat so much more user-friendly! :cool: It's a 14' all aluminum Texas Maid Falcon.

Do you have the room under the dash for a rotary helm? That is the bracket i have on one of my boats for a 1969 40hp big twin. I thought it came with the tube for the cable? Search seastar solutions for the bracket with the tube. Measure for the cable like normal and subtract a foot. There is a good video on measuring cable length. Is your engine electric start?

Do you have the room under the dash for a rotary helm? That is the bracket i have on one of my boats for a 1969 40hp big twin. I thought it came with the tube for the cable? Search seastar solutions for the bracket with the tube. Measure for the cable like normal and subtract a foot. There is a good video on measuring cable length. Is your engine electric start?

I think there will be room under the dash. The boat originally had a steering wheel with a helm behind the dash. However it was a cable and pulley system. But the helm looked pretty similar to the new one in the kit.

I'm not seeing the bracket on SeaStar Solutions. The one I was looking at was on WholesaleMarine and it doesn't picture a tube.

Yup, electric start. Converted it last year....was tired of pulling myself to death. lol

Thanks so much for your help!! Just trying to buy all the right stuff the first time so I'm not pissing up a rope when I'm trying to install this stuff. :p

Found it here SA27256P basically you measure from the wheel to the side of the boat from that point to the transom and then from the side to the center of the motor then subtract a foot. Round up to the nearest foot measure in inches and divide by 12! If you have electric start get the engine harness and controls with the red plug.

Use the video library here for seastar solutions as far as engine cable connections keep an eye on craigslist for a donor motor not running hopefully with controls. You can set it up with a single handle and a key ignition.

Model # of the motor ?-----Some 89 models do use the tilt tube.

Well damn.....it's a 1987 model. lmao Sorry about that, ya'll.

The plate that's on the transom bracket is completely blank....guessing from years of sunlight. The guy I bought it from said it was an '89 and I just had to take him at his word. I did some research and found out that on the freeze plug on the engine there is another place where the model is stamped. Sure enough, I found it. Looked it up....it's a 1987. lol Model # J25RCUR

After many, many hours of research and scrounging.....I've ordered a tilt tube, steering rod, rotary steering kit, steering wheel, and water pump impeller. I've still got to come up with a bracket for the throttle and shift cables. I know the part number for the shift bracket and can find them on ebay. But they're so simple I'm really thinking I can save myself some money and just make one. I also still need to order controls for throttle/shift and their cables.

I'm getting excited! Rrrrreeally hope that I've ordered all the right stuff. LOL

Any red plug controls will work you just need the right length cables and the engine harness to plug into. Does your engine have the electric primer?

Any red plug controls will work you just need the right length cables and the engine harness to plug into. Does your engine have the electric primer?

That's one thing I've yet to look into. Maybe a mistake on my part. What exactly is the harness for? Kind of confused on that aspect.

Not sure on electric primer.....There is a manual pull-out choke on the front of the engine....

Back