Logo

1989 evinrude 200xp missing

markmorelock25

Hello guys. I have a 1989 evinrude 200xp E200STLCEB on a Stratos 201. It is missing under a load when taking off in warm weather. When I blast off the rpms will come up and at around 2000 rpm it will fall on its face and start bogging down and missing on multiple cylinders. If I push the key in it gets worse. Eventually if I keep trying it will go on. It will hardly do this in cold weather (less than 70 degrees ambient temp.) A local marine tech told me that the stator was bad. I replaced it with a new one. While I was replacing the stator I noticed that the timer base was cracked on the inside and some of the insulation had started coming off so I replaced it. I still have not touched the problem! What now!!??? Power pack??? Here is what has been done.

Carbs cleaned & rebuilt
Spark will jump 7/16 gap
Fresh fuel & plenty of volume
New stator
New timer base
90 psi on all six cylinders

Spark plugs should be CHampion QL77JC4 plugs gaped at either .040 or .030 (original and revised recommended gap). One gap or the other may provide improved performance at full throttle or idle... it varies from engine to engine.

Pertaining to the spark jumping a 7/16" gap, I assume that you are saying that with the spark plugs removed, the spark jumps that 7/16" gap on "all" cylinders with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP? If so, that's fine. If anything else, let us know exactly what you mean.

Compression on that 1989 200hp model will generally run 95 psi on the starboard bank and 90 psi on the port bank... you're right in that ball park.
Your engine is equipped with a 35 ampere stator, having a series of exposed coils to provide AC voltage to a water cooled voltage regulator/rectifier to provide charging power to the battery. There are also two large black coils at the rear portion of the stator that provides approximately 300 AC volts to the powerpack capacitor.

That 35 ampere stator runs extremely hot and those two large black coils will in time melt down, dripping a sticky looking substance down on the timer base and the powerpead area. This results in a voltage drop to the powerpack whihc in turn results in weak, erratic, and eventually no ignition/spark. Was this the condition your original stator was in when you inspected it?

The flywheel on that 35 ampere charging system has a series of magnets attached to the flywheel with epoxy. Those magnets are spaced evenly, approximately 3/8" apart. If any of the magnets have come loose and are touching each other, that will need to be corrected. Are "all" of the magnets secured properly?
In cleaning the carburetors... did you make sure that the brass high speed jets that are located horizontally in the bottom center portion of the float chambers are absolutely clean and free of any debris that might be floating around?

The throttle butterflies (all) should just start to open when the scribe mark on the cam is aligned dead center with the throttle butterfly cam roller... not before or after.
Replacing the timer base for the reason stated is understandable whether it was faulty or not.

I have no idea why the engine would be affected by the weather temperature other than a remote possible condensation problem which could cause a shorting problem in any exposed circuit... check the following.

(Electrical Pins/Sockets - Poor Connection)
(J. Reeves)

The electrical rubber connectors that house a series of Pins and Sockets within them have a flaw which can easily be overlooked. The the pin or socket (or both) has been known to be pushed back slightly when pulling them apart and pushing them back together when replacing a component or doing test work.

Also, the wire that is attached to these pins and sockets has been known to break away from the pins/sockets which results in either a very poor or no connection at all. I've found many instances where the wire is held tight in the rubber connector by pure friction but in reality is not making any connection.

Be sure to check all of those rubber plugs for the proper pin/socket position and wiring attachments.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
Let us know what you find.

Thanks for the help Joe! Yes I am checking spark with all the spark plugs out. No my stator hadn't '' melted down''. It looked perfectly fine. Yes I made sure the high speed jets were clean. The only problem I found with the carbs was a couple of warped bowls so I replaced them and rebuilt all 6 carbs. I just got done checking all connections and double checked everything I've touched *stator, timer base, etc. I also did a link-n-sync. It starts and idles like a champ. No problems there whatsoever. It's got me bumfuzzled. Could there be something in the powerpack that isn't letting enough voltage go to the coils? I realize that it takes more power to get on plane thus the need for the ignition system to create more. I can check everything till I'm blue in the face with my meter. I've checked stator, timer base, and power pack all with my dva meter as per OMC manual and can't find a problem at all.

Thanks again for the help and advice.
If you need me I'll be pulling what's left of my hair out! HaHa.

On a side note, I am an automotive tech by trade (20yrs. servitude). I have seen instances when a coil or other electrical part would break down, or act up after it got "hot"? Could it be dropping 3 cylinders when it does this?

Check your prop to see if someone may have changed it.

Have you removed the drain plug from your boat to see if possibly water has found its way into the space between the deck and the bottom?

If your rig is wet stored (Marina etc), marine growth could have been encountered.

The boat is stored in my garage. I pull the plug at the ramp after every outing. And it still has the 24p Raker on it. The problem is definitely a misfire problem and more than one cylinder. Almost like I'm either loosing one bank or something.

I was wrong to say ''fall on it's face''. At around 2000 rpm instead it drops a couple hundred rpm and starts missing bad. It doesn't stall out.

I'm trying to be as clear as possible. I know what it's like to have a customer give misinformation.
Thanks again for taking the time to try and help me out!

Difficult to diagnose due to the problem being weird and intermittent, hence trying to cover all the bases.

There is a shift interrupter switch located on the engine's shift rod arm just this side of where the arm goes thru a nylon bushing. There is a black/yellow wire attached to it that leads to the powerpack. The purpose of this switch is to interrupt the ignition/spark on the starboard bank (all three cylinders) when the shift procedure is engaged.

Trace that wire to its connection and disconnect it to see if that makes a difference.

NOTE: With that wire disconnected, it may be impossible to shift out of gear, even at an idle (depends on the propeller) so be prepared for that possibility.... coming into a dock could be hair raising.

Back