shorething
New member
I have a 1989 268 SeaRay Bravo 1 – 7.4 and in all around great shape. A few years ago I ran aground and had to have the engine pulled to replace the bottom bolts on the gimmel housing which turned out to be a bigger but timely project (oil pan was shot). Yesterday while cleaning the gimmel housing for painting - a small piece of the housing dropped to the ground (see pictures) obviously a gimmel housing electrolysis rust issue. The other side isn’t as bad but did notice some rust at the bottom of the housing. I don’t really want to pull the motor and replace the housing if I don’t have to right now and frankly I don’t want to put the money into the boat even if I were to do the work myself.
So the question is, can I remediate and repair this from getting worse and if so, how best to properly repair this and clean and caulk the gimmel housing to prevent any water issues?
Last year I did suspect a water issue and had all the bellows replaced. Still noticed a smaller water after and it turned out the shift cable pulled away from the housing which was tightened. Not certain there is still a water issue because of what I just discovered but this obviously needs to be addressed before considering launching.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thx
So the question is, can I remediate and repair this from getting worse and if so, how best to properly repair this and clean and caulk the gimmel housing to prevent any water issues?
Last year I did suspect a water issue and had all the bellows replaced. Still noticed a smaller water after and it turned out the shift cable pulled away from the housing which was tightened. Not certain there is still a water issue because of what I just discovered but this obviously needs to be addressed before considering launching.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thx
Attachments
Last edited:

