Logo

1989 25hp Johnson TJ25ELCEB No Spark

bmscarb7596

Please help!! I started having some hesitation at WOT 3 weeks ago and thought it maybe fuel. Then it would run at WOT and then stop and pick back up again in a couple seconds. Last week we were on the lake at WOT and it just stopped. I put a new power pack on 4 years ago. I checked both coils and they test fine. I also checked compression which is reading 115 top and 113 bottom. I pulled the flywheel and found that the charge coil had melted out of the casing so I ordered a new charge coil and changed it. Still nothing while cranking. So I had a backup power pack and installed that. Still nothing. So I got to thinking maybe stator? I unhooked the stator and checked the voltage when cranking and was only getting between 2-3 volts in any combination on the yellow wires. That is too low am I correct? Should be putting out 10 volts or so? Any thoughts. Daughter has a High School Bass Club tourney on Saturday. (Wish they had that when I was in school). Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

I have looked at the schematics and yes they are just for charging. The charge coil however was melted down and I changed that. It is so easy to get frustrated with the pulling off the flywheel and putting it back on and checking everything.

Back