Logo

1988 Mercury 25hp repeated stator failures

Rotospike

I have a 1988 Mercury 25hp outboard. Electric start with remote control. When I purchased the motor it had a bad vibration/miss. I found the magnets had broken inside the flywheel. Replaced the flywheel and the stator (damaged from the magnet failure). Ran great for first season. 3/4 of the way through the second season the stator failed again (signs of excessive heat on the coil). Replaced stator and it ran great again. This year, motor ran great for a couple weeks and I had another stator failure. Replaced it again and this stator only last 30 seconds and it failed again. All stators were CDI brand and all shows signs of excessive heat on the coil with the black/yellow wire. I have replaced the battery, battery cables, confirmed battery connections are good. I have unhooked all the lights or anything else that could cause extra load on the stator (none of this should matter though since the BLK/YEL wire should only feed the switch box) correct? Any help would be great. thinking I need to replace the switch box as well but would like some assurance before spending the money. Thanks in advance.

One more thing I should mention. The original flywheel with the broken magnets was a 2 magnet. The flywheel I installed was a 4 magnet and the dealer I bought it from said "won't be a problem". Wondering if anyone has thoughts on 2 vs 4 magnets in the flywheel causing stator failures? I would think it wouldn't matter but nothing else is making sense here.

Back