Logo

1988 mercruiserAlfa1 3.0 starter broke off , flywheel jammed inplace?

DjAventura

New member
Hi Freinds, I need advise how to go about this, I was gifted a 1988 mercruiser,3.0 alfa1 boat, I turned on this biat many of times outside the water, ofcourse with hose attached, never had issue, well as a surprise one day while turning the boat over I herd a clunk, clunk sound and on the third clunk it sounded as a crack sound, as I looked back noticed the starter moveing out of flywheel area, to notice the starter houseing was cracked off long bolt still intacked, hmm wait this starter was being held by one bolt n a homemade rear bracket,, not smart,,, I went on n puchased a new starter not aftermarket, n when to replace, notice small bolt was broken n left in thred thats why only one bolt was visable, last owner was happy with just long bolt instead of trying to extract small broken bolt,, well I extracted small broken bolt, replaced new starter with 2 new bolts n new bracket, now problem, the starter catches the flywheel but seems flywheel has jammed, I table tested starter to aliminate it was that nope starter good, flywheel is jammed what may be the problem here , how can I free the jammed flywheel, when trying to start I can see the flywheel wanting to turn but just a twitch movement, its jammed or something is holding it from turning freely by starter, any advise what I can do..
 
pull the spark plugs to see if you have water in the cylinders .if still jammed remove the outdrive to verify the trouble
 
try to rotate the engine manually, from the front, with a ratchet or something. removing the outdrive is a good idea, it could be seized and cause that type of problem.
 
Dum?? Once I remove drive should I look for something specific, so I should manually turn the flywheel, and not use the key to rotate flywell if this is correct, if I do turn the flywheel guess allso I will need new drive, and if I do find watered sparkplugs what are the things I should do.
 
if you do find water, you need to determine how it got in. then get the motor started to dry things out before rust sets in. Doubtfull you could seize a drive using muffs for the short time you had it running
 
Well guys pulled plugs yes water123 sparkplugs, following by crank turned over with lots of squirts , I then decided to drain the oil pan,, omg it was 95% water than the cream brown oil followed,,, iam thinking is there a crack inside, there was signs of jb well on the block, or can a be a seal somewhere , dont know what to do atbthis point, is this motor dead, need ideas next step.
 
Back
Top