Logo

1988 Johnson GT 150 zero compression 1 cylinder. I have spare exact motor, with same problem in 1 cylinder. Swap Parts?

Greg Kessel

New member
I have an 1988 Johnson GT 150 that is in great condition, but has 1 cylinder with zero compression. I bought a spare motor, same model but 1990 for parts, as it has the same issue with 1 cylinder zero compression. Can I, and how hard would it be to swap the good bank of cylinders from spare motor and install on other? I have good mechanical skills but no experience with outboards. Thanks in advance
 
Removed the head. See pictures.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0045.jpeg
    IMG_0045.jpeg
    537 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0046.jpeg
    IMG_0046.jpeg
    708.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0047.jpeg
    IMG_0047.jpeg
    380.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0048.jpeg
    IMG_0048.jpeg
    388.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0049.jpeg
    IMG_0049.jpeg
    460.6 KB · Views: 38
These motors had issues with broken piston rings.-----You need to bore this engine out.----Install 6 new O/S pistons / rings.----Not the information you wanted to hear.----But the information you need.
 
I have an 1988 Johnson GT 150 that is in great condition, but has 1 cylinder with zero compression. I bought a spare motor, same model but 1990 for parts, as it has the same issue with 1 cylinder zero compression. Can I, and how hard would it be to swap the good bank of cylinders from spare motor and install on other? I have good mechanical skills but no experience with outboards. Thanks in advance
would you like to sell electronics from the 90 im interested.
 
Back
Top